turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

old white hevi-shot

Started by fountain2, April 09, 2012, 12:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain2

What sets them apart form the current loads..the 3/2/6 vs the 3/1 3/4/6??  I've heard good things about the old white loads...but what u think?  I don't recall shooting them, but do recall shooting early 3.5" loads when they were available.

For kickers...what kind of patterns y'all get with em? 

chipper

With a .665 IC and a SX3 I can shoot 175-200 all day long, they like a tight choke is what I've been told and I have a IC .655 for the X3 but haven't shot one thru it yet.

fountain2

I may give one a try.  I wanna see what they do in my 835 and old a-5.  I know they are praised...and just curious as to why.  If they that good, then they may need to bring em back!  The older stuff seems to be working the best from hevi

Reloader

I've gotten 200-220 as the norm from some guns.  My all time best with them were a couple in the high 230s and one at 242.  Shot a pile of 225ish patterns with them.

Some of the guns I've ran them through were only good for 180-190, but that's still great patterns for that weight.

Best I've gotten from a 3-2-6 is 210.  Still a good replacement, but the OWs were better shells.

The only thing I don't like about them is the crimps were not very good.  Many of my OWs are only good for robbing the shot as a good portion of the buffer leaked out.  Those that don't leak seem to stay that way, but I've seen as many as half the box that were leakers.  Nothing a little dab of elmers couldnt solve IF you can get to it before the leak gets bad.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: fountain2 on April 09, 2012, 12:09:41 PM
What sets them apart form the current loads..the 3/2/6 vs the 3/1 3/4/6??  I've heard good things about the old white loads...but what u think?  I don't recall shooting them, but do recall shooting early 3.5" loads when they were available.

For kickers...what kind of patterns y'all get with em?  

I started shooting those shells, in a couple of different versions, in 2004 before the final version was established and went on the market in 2005.

They patterned very well but the real advantage was that they had the recoil of a Winchester AA trap load. In a reasonably heavy 12 gauge gun, it was like shooting a 20 gauge.

We could shoot them all day at the World Championship Still Target Shoot and still know where we were at the end of the day.

It was necessary to take good care of those shells however. If you cracked the plastic wad in the crimp, they would leak buffer.

They only loaded them in late 2004 and in 2005 although we shot them in competition throughout 2006.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Spring Creek Calls

I still have a box and a half of the old whites in 6's. In my gun (Win 1300, Kick's .655) the new 3/2/6's shoot better than the old whites. And no, you can't have them!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

msgobblergetter

These shells pattern excellent from a Remington using the Ventilator .655 choke. Very consistent and light recoiling.

fountain2

Ronnie, Im picking up what ya putting down!  They leak.   I have several that appear to be leaking bad.  I have not looked at them close...just a peak to know buffer is running wild.  I may try em, I may not.  Been wanting some tho.  Ain't this the real 13g shot?

Reloader

Quote from: fountain2 on April 09, 2012, 07:05:16 PM
Ronnie, Im picking up what ya putting down!  They leak.   I have several that appear to be leaking bad.  I have not looked at them close...just a peak to know buffer is running wild.  I may try em, I may not.  Been wanting some tho.  Ain't this the real 13g shot?

It varies, I checked some that weren't 13. Hevi has always had a variance from lot to lot IME. My last lot of Hevi 6s went 12.5. I have seen it from a touch under 12 to a touch over 13. Sure is a pain for a handloader as it varies buffer between batches for the best crimps.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk.

surehuntsalot

I still have 4 boxes of the  #6's
they are bad in my 835
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

fountain2

That pics not working.   Im hoping its a pattern pic.  What choke does your gun like with them?

decoykrvr

Without a doubt. the best factory, and it wasn't really a factory load IMO more like a great handload, that has ever hit the market.  It's a real shame that the quality and consistency of the Polywad white shells can't be duplicated by Environmetal.  All reloaders will tell you that the secret of really good reloads is to find a reproducible recipe which performs and then never vary on loading technique or components.  Sadly, this is a concept which has eluded the folks at Hevi-Shot, and the patterning results year-to-year bear me out.

Fox Fire

I have a ammo box so full of different brands/types of turkey rounds you have to push the lid down to latch it, after a old man at teh gun store turned me onto the "old whites" everything else was junk.

They turned out to be the best ammo that I every ran thru my NTWF Winchester, along with a Tru Glo Strut Stopper choke it was the magic combo  , the "NEW & IMPROVED ammo the began to produce was worthless thru that gun.

Not to long ago a gent posted some for sale about 30 miles from my house, I called him to make sure thats what he a had then shoved my wife into teh car & said GO...HURRY !!, cost me $35 or $40 (cant remember) plus the drive but it was worth it to me just to get my fat stubby fingers on them.

chipper

Man I know what your taking about, I drove 50 miles to pick up 3 boxes I found e or 3 years ago and now that I got them I hate to shoot them at anything not deserving to be shot with them.

fountain2

Im with chipper...now that I got em, I hate to shoot em.  Im wanting to see how they shoot, but hate to waste one!  I prolly wont hunt with em, but if I do get a wild hair I guess I could