turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Safety first!

Started by Duke0002, February 25, 2011, 03:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke0002

Safety first, gents.  You can always hunt the birds another day if you play it safe.

==========

The following are the Ten Commandments of Firearm Safety.

1. Treat every gun as if it was loaded.

Every time a gun is handled, check to make sure that the gun is empty of shells or cartridges. Always assume the gun has the ability to load itself.

2. Always point the muzzle in a safe direction. No one should
ever see the muzzle end of your gun!

An experienced hunter is always aware of the safe direction to point the gun's muzzle and would not hunt with anyone who does not do likewise.

3. Be sure of your target and beyond.

A safe hunter would never take aim at a sound, movement, or flash of color. A safe shot is taken at a positively identified target against a clear, safe background.

4. Never point a gun at anything you don't want to shoot.

Avoid all horseplay with a firearm.

5. Unload guns when not in use.

Have the actions open to ensure that a gun is not loaded. Guns should be carried in cases to the shooting area.

6. Store guns and ammunition separately.

Store in a place where the guns are out of reach of children or careless adults.

7. Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstructions.

Only carry ammunition for the gun you are carrying and the game you are hunting.

8. Never climb a fence or tree, cross a log or a stream, or jump a ditch with a loaded gun.

9. Never shoot a bullet at a flat, hard surface or water.

When target practicing, be sure your backstop is adequate.

10. Never use alcoholic beverages or drugs when handling a firearm.

Alcohol or drugs should not be used before or during the hunt, or when cleaning a gun. Always be fully alert and in control.

chatterbox

VanHelden Game Calls

And for us string pluckers. :wave:

Keep arrows in quiver. 

USE A BH WRENCH!! :'(

Make sure you use an arrow :o

pappy

Thanks Dale for the safety tips, and I know you are on your knees in prayer for everyone.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

MDbowman

Quote from: madarchery on February 25, 2011, 05:28:15 PM
And for us string pluckers. :wave:

Keep arrows in quiver. 

USE A BH WRENCH!! :'(

Make sure you use an arrow :o

Just curious if you have a story to go with that last item????

VanHelden Game Calls

No first hand.  But have witnessed the brain fart by a few over the years.

Another for the string pluckers.

CHECK YOUR ARROWS FOR DAMAGE.  I have witnessed and my bow had the first hand account of that happening.  It is surreal looking at a friends hand with a carbon shaft sticking out both sides :o

And he scratched my bow :angry9: 

Now the broadhead wrench.  Yep first hand account.  No story just a boneheaded move.

The keep in quiver.  Well I have cut a few holes in blinds.  Sharp object, pitch black  not a great combo.  Now I wait.  Like I was going to have a shot in the dark :-[

BowBendr

Those rules should be a sticky at the top of every teams' thread.

We all want to have fun, enjoy the spring time and take some birds for the team, but we ALL want to come home safely after every hunt.

Good archery tips too as I have personally figured out why you must have a broadhead wrench and i'm not even going to comment on holes poked in the side of a blind while nocking an arrow in the pitch dark.
  :bike2:

MDbowman

Not necessarily a safety note, but when you are going to get a shot with your bow, be sure the arrow will clear the blind before you shoot. Haven't done it myself, but I know a guy.

And he might be on our team.......

derek

Quote from: MDbowman on February 26, 2011, 03:30:16 PM
Not necessarily a safety note, but when you are going to get a shot with your bow, be sure the arrow will clear the blind before you shoot. Haven't done it myself, but I know a guy.

And he might be on our team.......

hehe.. does it make it any better that I did it again when practicing out of the blind right after that?
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Duke0002

Quote from: BowBendr on February 26, 2011, 12:41:50 PM
Those rules should be a sticky at the top of every teams' thread.

Couldn't agree more.