turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

mossberg 500 turkey gun

Started by rcpigg65, April 06, 2012, 01:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcpigg65

My oldest son just brought me an older mossberg 500 turkey gun to help him with . The gun has the old woodland style camo and has the short ported barrell. it came with the factory choke that goes about .670 and also a primos undertaker that goes about .665 ? Any body with any experience with these guns ? I will buy another choke if needed and want a good lead load as well as maybe hevi 6's or 7's . the season is already well under way in alabama and need to get him ready quickly as he will be leaving again in a couple weeks .

JohnnieB

My 500 is a great turkey gun in my opinion and sports the 20" non ported barrell. I have had great success using a Truglo SSX choke and Hevi 13 # 7's. It will smash birds out to at least 40 yards. I did the deep cleaning of the gun that Clarke recommends also.

mcgruff1533

Try both the .670 and .666 chokes, but you'll probably find both are lacking in the pattern department.

From my experience, the short barreled Mossberg 500 series guns seem to pattern better with tighter chokes.       Buying an Indian Creek .660" really woke up my 535 with a 20" barrel.

surehuntsalot

the Mossberg 500 makes a great turkey gun
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mightyjoeyoung

Try both chokes.  You'd be suprised what that undertaker will do with the right load.  If it is HTL approved, I'd go 3", 2 ounce 6's or 7's hevi shot or the 3" MagBlends.  Clean it up, deep clean the pipe and maybe pollisher her and you should be good. Good luck!
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.