OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem SF Lead only...

Started by mossyoakpro, April 06, 2012, 01:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyoakpro

Did I read on here somewhere that you can shoot the Fed HW #7 through a Remington SF lead only choke??  I was given one to try in my new project and I was making sure before I sent some rounds through it.

Thanks!!
Phillippians 4:13

Hunt4Meat

I called Remmington to ask that question about amonth ago, and they said it says lead only, that is the answer. Kinda vauge to me, but sounds like they were telling me don't do it, but would not actually say that.
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.

mightyjoeyoung

Well gee.  If the manufacturer says not to, what do you think you should do?...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mossyoakpro

I suppose I will not try it then...Where can I find a HTL compatible model??

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: mossyoakpro on April 06, 2012, 06:37:57 PM
I suppose I will not try it then...Where can I find a HTL compatible model??
Check Ebay or the Remington Country store or Gun Broker...

mossyoakpro

msgobblergetter

Been using my lead only version with HTL for years.  Never had a problem and never heard of anyone else having a problem with that choke and HTL.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: msgobblergetter on April 07, 2012, 12:20:06 AM
Been using my lead only version with HTL for years.  Never had a problem and never heard of anyone else having a problem with that choke and HTL.

And like I have said before...  Those chokes (the ones that say lead only), are rated that way by the manufacturer for a reason.  Especially the older stuff wasn't made out of stronger materials or specially hardened and tempered so that they can handle the stresses of having htl shot jammed through them.  The first time you shoot some htl shot through one and it fractures or bulges and jams itself in the barrel of your shotgun, what are you gonna tell remington or the choke maker? With so many quality htl approved chokes out there, it only makes sense to use your head and buy one that possibly won't leave you wondering how you're gonna get your gun fixed.  I have a friend that was shooting some hevi 6s through his lead only ventilator.  Went to clean his rig after patterning and it took a pair of channel locks to get the choke out of the barrel because the hard, unyielding shot caused it to bulge.  You shoot what you want...I'll be smart and use a choke approved for htl.

mossyoakpro

I think I will take your advise Joe...I sure do not want to screw up a brand new gun!!

chipper

Kicks has been saying lead only for years, but ask Charlie about Winchester XRHD, Hastings says lead only, people have been running HTL and TSS for sevral years through them, Sevral people including myself have been shooting Hevi and Fed. HW through the RSF with out a hiccup.

mightyjoeyoung

Yup.  So remington made the ventilator in an nHTL approved model...just because then??? ::)

chipper

I have not seen a Ventilator for a 20, I don't believe.