OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cabelas federal hv flight control shells.

Started by coyotetrpr, April 04, 2012, 06:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotetrpr

I posted this in the lead section as well, but I am curious if any of you guys have heard why Cabelas is selling the high velocity federal flight control shells so cheap. 11.95 for the 2oz when it costs  19.95 for the 2.25oz. That is a lot of extra money for about 42 extra pellets in a #5.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Frankinthelaurels

Shoot the $12 ones on paper and see how they pattern, maybe no need to almost double the price per shot.

Philippe

Those things are garbage. Im glad i stocked up on their old grandslam non-fc wad shells!

mcgruff1533

If those are the Federal Mag-Shok lead shells, do yourself a favor and buy something else.

I tried those shells with 7 different chokes and got poor to barely acceptable results at 40 yards with my Mossberg 535.      The Flite Control Wad is the biggest problem with those shells.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on April 05, 2012, 10:41:59 AM
If those are the Federal Mag-Shok lead shells, do yourself a favor and buy something else.

I tried those shells with 7 different chokes and got poor to barely acceptable results at 40 yards with my Mossberg 535.      The Flite Control Wad is the biggest problem with those shells.

did you try your factory full choke??
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mcgruff1533

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 05, 2012, 11:20:20 PM
Quote from: mcgruff1533 on April 05, 2012, 10:41:59 AM

did you try your factory full choke??

Yup... I tried the X-Factor .670 Ported tube that shipped with the gun.    It was by far the worst choke I tested with the FCW shells, and most other shells for that matter.

Other chokes tested are as follows:

Carlsons .660 and .670

Undertaker .665

Wrights .670, .660 and .650

SSX .643

and a factory flush Modified.

Best I could ever get was around 80 pellets in the 10" circle at 40 yards, and that was with the SSX .643"     The worst pattern came from the factory flush Modified choke.   Federal literature actually suggests a more open choke such as a Modified for their FCW shells.     The Modified tube put exactly 37 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. 

870FaceLift

I haven't had good luck patterning these shells either - went back to Winchester.  I do know that the FCW does not like ported choke tubes at all.  There's a good article on the FCW in the new Turkey Country magazine.
Pass it on...

surehuntsalot

the factory full works great in my 835 and both of my 20ga's with the FC shells
it's not the harvest,it's the chase