OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Doug Camp box call

Started by cannonball, April 03, 2012, 06:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannonball

I was hoping someone on here could tell me about this box call I just bought. I know who Doug Camp is, but I would like to hear more about this call and what it might be worth. It's in near mint condition if that matters.

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

shadetree callers

Congrats on a nice little call . The value on it will vary with when and to whom you are selling it and can be anywhere from $100 - $300 . Most people don't know that Doug did not make the boxcalls but had them built for him . They are good sounding calls and will definately call in turkeys but I would put it up and save it if I were you . You can still get a call from the folks who made them for Doug if you watch closely on ebay they show up occasionally .

cannonball

Quote from: letinmfly on April 03, 2012, 07:30:01 PM
Is it signed by Doug?

I bought the call in origional packaging (packaging was very rough and old looking) at a very small sporting goods store in the middle of nowhere. The call was new when I bought it, so it came with the signature on it. It looks to me to be hand signed by Doug Camp. They also had some very old Primos calls that had to be well over twenty years old still in packaging.

savduck

I think you did good son. It will only go up in value. Congrats
Georgia Boy

drenalinld

They are one of the best values in box calls at original price of $20-$35. Now consistently sell $150 and up for signed models. Yours looks like cherry and poplar. I posted a video clip some while back of one of mine. They are keepers!  I have one each of poplar and cedar signed and one older unsgned. I have original packages. I do hunt with them because Doug would want it used. The guys that built them for Doug are still around. One is a member here. CletusClassic.

cannonball

Thanks for the info guys. I bought the call for $35.00, I can't believe that it was there for
all those years and no one bought it.

triune

That is a great find!  Doug was a real southern gentleman and eager to share his years of callmaking knowledge.  I always enjoyed talking with him.  I'd keep hold tight of that one.

fsu33952

I am no handwriting expert but if I were a betting man I would say that is the real thing. I went over and dug some stuff I have in the closet out and compared them. Yes, there are some fakes out there so look out. I know where there is a store at right now that has a pile of them trying to sell them for $200 a pop. They have a signature on them that say Doug Camp but it looks nothing like Doug's signature. It is strange that the caller would have been signed in a store like that is why I was a little skeptical. He normally would only sign stuff when he was right in front of you or as gifts. That type of thing. He was definitely something else and would for sure want you to be hunting with it. If you don't want to hunt with it and keep it for a collectors item then you can get the guys at cletus classic to build you the same caller. They wouldn't sell you junk.

magnoliagamecalls

Looks like his signature to me. Here are a few of his calls that I have

Cherry over Poplar

Cherry over Cedar

Mahogany glass

Cedar push pin

fsu33952

Those are some sharp callers. I am sure Doug would be tickled to know that folks are collecting these things.

drenalinld

Sweet Camps!!! Looks like his sig to me. The last few years his box calls did not have the turkey burned in the lid and he signed them all. I would love to have one of those early ones with "Unfair Advantage" on it as well as a signature. You can't kill birds with those calls anyway, may as well just send them to me........lol

fsu33952

I have a several of them that were pre Unfair advantage that are just plain with no turkey stamped on them. I have a few lids for the long boxes that were signed that are not on callers. I didn't realize that he had started signing all of them. My Dad has one of the first 10 that he made. He killed a turkey with it the first time he ever carried it to the woods and still carries it till this day. He is in the woods as I speak carrying that caller. This one was probably made right before they started selling them. It was back in the very early 80's or so. That old caller has spent lots of days in the woods and he would probably part with all of us before he would that caller. Who would have known these things would ever be this collectible?

cannonball

I tuned the call and it now sounds great. I noticed the adjustment screw was backed all the way out and it sounded pretty bad when I first got it. Maybe that's why no one bought it, lol. I let savduck run it in Georgia and he was impressed as well. I have decided to put it in the vest and take it hunting. I figured Doug would have wanted it that way.