turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

10 days into the 2012 season... Limited out

Started by Turkeykiller12, April 02, 2012, 05:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeykiller12

Well after 10 days into the the 2012 season and only making it out to enjoy 5 sunrises I have limited out in the peach state once again. This is the quickest I've ever got my limit. Last year I killed bird #3 on the 2nd wednesday in April. The hunt this morning went very very quick. I got to my listening spot and didn't hear any gobbling until 7:05am. Some crows started up and made a gobbler fire off up the trail from me about 200 yds. I eased along the road and got set up in a spot where I could watch where the logging road made kind of a Y in the woods. The bird wouldn't gobble much at all he probably didnt gobble 10 times. I called real soft just purring and soft yelps and then set my call down. I heard a bird pitch down but it wasnt the turkey I set up on. I hear a bird spit n drum but at that time it just didn't register right because I was so focused on the bird roosted just in front of me. Well, I can hear a turkey walking just over the rise on the opposite side of the logging road that I am sitting on. The bird that is roosted in front of me pitches down in front of me and is about 60 yds out. I've got my gun ready and safety off waiting for him to cross the kill line, out of no where the other gobbler I had been hearing spittin n drumming comes hauling it towards the gobbler that just pitched down in front of me. By this time both turkeys are in front of me about 35 yds out and I bust the one that had charged toward the other gobbler. I pulled the trigger around 7:28am. He was not an upgrade so I didn't go through getting all the pictures plus I was by myself. Wished I could've contributed with a bigger bird than I put on the board, but maybe next year.

JVA54

Congrats!!  Man you have been put them on the ground Awesome Season!!

Turkeykiller12

8 1/2" beard with reddish orange tips (beard rot maybe?)
1" spur and 15/16" spur
18 lbs

For anyone wondering about the picture with the turkeys head on the stock of my shotgun. I met Phil Robertson (Duck Commander) one time and at wildgame supper at a local church and got him to sign my benelli. He was a real nice guy, I enjoyed hearing his preaching.

dirt road ninja

What now? Glad ya had a good season. Congrats!

Turkeykiller12

Quote from: dirt road ninja on April 02, 2012, 07:30:40 PM
What now? Glad ya had a good season. Congrats!

Guess I'll get my kayak out and start fishing. I got my kayak back last summer and missed out on all the spring fishing. Maybe I can catch some nice fish this time. I'm a horrible fisherman so I doubt it. lol

davisd9

Man, you put up a great couple of birds on the board!  Glad you tagged out!  Did not know that the duck commander guy spoke at churches.  I heard Hank Parker's testimony a month or so ago and he did a great job.  Take care and maybe you can find a place out of state to bust a few! 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Turkeykiller12

If you haven't never heard the Duck Commander preach your missing out. There are a bunch of clips on youtube of him at various wild game dinners. He pretty much hits the nail on the head on a lot of subjects. I doubt i'll hunt out of state, Alabama license are so dirn high. Time to fish now.

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey