turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Issue with polishing barrel.

Started by Chevyman_2000, April 01, 2012, 05:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chevyman_2000

Bought a mossberg 500 20 gauge bantam for my new turkey gun. I started polishing it but noticed 4 score marks running along the whole inside on the barrel. All are 90* to eachother and looks like they where put there during machining. Is this normal? I polished the heck out of it but they are still there. I didn't want to over due it and was told this is the site to get my answer.

Longshanks

Quote from: Chevyman_2000 on April 01, 2012, 05:57:18 PM
Bought a mossberg 500 20 gauge bantam for my new turkey gun. I started polishing it but noticed 4 score marks running along the whole inside on the barrel. All are 90* to eachother and looks like they where put there during machining. Is this normal? I polished the heck out of it but they are still there. I didn't want to over due it and was told this is the site to get my answer.

I would stop there.  Shoot a box of cheap shells through the gun..light cleaning..then start patterning with the turkey loads and see how it does.

SumToy

That is something I have this in A LOT of moss barrels.  I don't know what the run down them to cause it but you did not do it. Just got it clean and you see it more now.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Chevyman_2000

Hello Mr. Sumtoy. This is Justin from Canada. Got the choke Friday and will be patterning tomorrow! So the scores shouldn't be that big of a deal?

Tom Foolery

Mine had a monster score mark from the choke threads back for several inches.  It bothered me and I used some pretty harsh stuff to knock it out.  In the end I don't think it really made much difference.

SumToy

Quote from: Chevyman_2000 on April 01, 2012, 07:10:40 PM
Hello Mr. Sumtoy. This is Justin from Canada. Got the choke Friday and will be patterning tomorrow! So the scores shouldn't be that big of a deal?

1st off I am just plain old William (AKA SumToy) :turkey2:

Now the lines will not hurt the gun. We put them in target guns.  :bike2:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

VAHUNTER

if you use everything that is posted in the polishing thread you will not and can not over polish. like William said it is easier to see tool marks in a barrel that has been polished. i also agree that they will have no effect on how the gun patterns.
Good things come to those who wait

Chevyman_2000

My apologizes William. Weather is supposed to be clear and 50*F tomorrow so I hope to get some patterning done. Gonna try some hevi 13 5, 6, 7 mix and FHW #6 and go from there. Also gonna pick up a measure tape to measure off a true 40 yards.

yelpy

My Moss 535 has the same marks in the barrel and it does just fine on the board. Good luck with it..

Chevyman_2000

well went out to pattern today and Got my POA on the gun spot on. Used trap loads at 10 yards and even they had a 3" pattern LOL Put in a Federal Light controled 3" lead and at 10 yards all you could see was a cut hole with the wad and 4-5 pellets around it. The wond ended up picking up really bad so I didn't want to waste any shells.