OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What am i doing wrong?

Started by Brandon, April 01, 2012, 04:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

When ever i get into position near turkeys, and make a few calls the turkeys  (toms/hens) seem to slowly go the other direction. What am i doing wrong  im not being seen by them i know that for sure.Its just why would they slowly go the other way? and not move into range?

worth612000

Hened up!! just keep doing your thing and you will get one.

Lenny870

gwa

Is this just one instance? Same place, same setup? Was it raining? How loud were you calling and what for hen talk were you trying? How far away was your setup from the birds? Anything to prevent them from coming to you?
Anyhow, I think you need to get between where they are roosted and where they want to go and call sparingly.

Brandon

I was in a feild behind a small garden like weed pile,the feild was infront of me the turkeys were about 80 feet from me and i was calling a hen yelp and some cutts.It was only grassy feilds between me and them,and they just went the opposite directioN SLOWLY, She roosts over a creek with a feild behind and infont of her.She goes to the feild infront of her first and then to the one behind her. Were i was.

TauntoHawk

80 feet or yards? 80 ft (26yds) and Ive got a dead Tom no need to call him any closer
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Brandon

WillowRidgeCalls

Most times they go to the field that the sun hits first because it warmer earlier, then they will move to the other field once that first field starts to get too warm. If possible get between them and the field early so they don't see you, and just a couple of soft calls once they hit the ground.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Brandon

Thank you everyone for your advice, its really helpfull!

wisconsinteacher

One thing that worked this weekend.  We were be behind the flock by about 150 to 200 yards and the hens would yelp but walk away.  Well, we got close and I mean close.  50-60 yards from them and called a little.  It worked.  We were in their comfort zone and they did not like it.  Also, as a flock walks, the tom is in the back.  Well when we followed, he was the closest bird so when we got the hens mad and they turned, so did he and he won the race to the new hen and meet a face full of shot.  So get close and let out a few soft calls first before you hammer on a call.

handcannon

Sounds like you got a pretty open situation. Either try setting up a couple decoys before flydown or wait until they are pretty close and try passive calling instead of aggressive calling. Soft yelping and purring along with maybe some scratching in the leaves instead of cranking out the decibels. You may just have a jealous set of hens that will pull him away every time. Just give it some time and after mid morning to around lunch time, give him another shot. He might be out cruising for new hotties by that time once the nags go to nest.