turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Williams Fire Sight Comparison To TruGlo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dot

Started by Turkey Trot, March 29, 2012, 05:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey Trot

I did a search of the forum to try to find opinions of the relative strengths and weaknesses of the Magnum Gobble Dot and the Williams Firesight for a shotgun.  It's for a Rem 1187.  I want to adjust elevation, so the units that do not permit that are out of consideration.

What are the relative strengths and weaknesses?  (Besides the price.  The TruGlo typically retails around $45-50 and the Williams is cheaper at $30)

Tru Glo:

http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

Williams

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/shotgun.htm

Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

msgobblergetter

I have the pro series mags on two of my tguns.  All metal construction, very tough.  I also like the fact that it was available in a smaller size diameter fiber optic pipe for the end bead.  Makes for a better fine tuning.

Longshanks

Quote from: msgobblergetter on March 29, 2012, 07:13:23 PM
I have the pro series mags on two of my tguns.  All metal construction, very tough.  I also like the fact that it was available in a smaller size diameter fiber optic pipe for the end bead.  Makes for a better fine tuning.

ditto..i have the pro series on 4 guns with no complaints. Great for adjustment, tuff as nails, excellant upgrade from shooting single or double beads.  I ordered extra fiber optic tubing from tru glo just in case there is a chance i could break it out of there... but havent done it so far.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I like the Williams far better.

The rear fiber optic aperture  is raised and fully exposed on the tru-glo and that is simply unacceptable to me given the debris and foliage my guns come in contact with while hunting.

Longshanks

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 29, 2012, 10:21:51 PM
I like the Williams far better.

The rear fiber optic aperture  is raised and fully exposed on the tru-glo and that is simply unacceptable to me given the debris and foliage my guns come in contact with while hunting.

Like I said..I have them on 4 guns. One gun they have been on since  the year they came out. Hunt at least three or four states every year and hunt rough conditions. Durability has not been an issue.

Woodsman4God

I choose williams and love them, I could not find a ghost ring for the Magnum Gobble dot series and I really like that feature, all other things considered they look about equal.

stinkpickle

I use the Williams, because it was the original.  The early TruGlo stuff sucked!  In my opinion (can't prove it), they modeled their newer all-metal ones after the Williams.  It looks like a decent product now, but it's still more expensive than the Williams. 

wvnut3

I too have the williams on one gun. The fiber optics are real nice and i have the one with a Ghost ring for the rear sight.Lee

gatrkyhntr70

The ghost ring set up sounds nice could you guys post a pic with them please??
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Woodsman4God

Quote from: gatrkyhntr70 on March 31, 2012, 11:12:50 AM
The ghost ring set up sounds nice could you guys post a pic with them please??

Heres a link of mine from optics forum, pic doesnt do it justice

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,21112.0.html

wvnut3

thats it.. and no its much better than the picture suggests

Fastcat

I just added a set of williams to my 835 and i am very impressed with the quality of mounting/adjustment hardware. I hope to leave this sight on my gun forever. They look very durable,

Rapscallion Vermilion

My one complaint with the Tru Glo is that I could not set a very small offset from center on the rear sight.  When tightening down the set screw, it would always re-center.  I think this is due to the way the set screw hits the geometry of the channel underneath, which has a gap in the middle.  I was able to overcome this by tapping in a small lead pellet, but I shouldn't have had to do that.

wmd

I have a set of the Williams on my Stoeger, but decided to put a a set of the Tru Glos on my sons 1187 because they appeared to be easier to mount/remove than the Williams.  The POA/POI was off so bad that the Tru Glo did not have enough windage adjustment, so I replaced them with a Williams set.  The one thing I like about the Williams is that there is a scale for the elevation so you can tell how far you are moving it relative to its previous position and can quickly return it to zero should it come loose at the most inopportune of times.