OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Afternoons

Started by ElkTurkMan, February 24, 2011, 06:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElkTurkMan

I love my afternoon hunts.  The last three birds I've shot have all been in the PM.  My 2009 bird, I shot at 1:30PM, last year one bird was at 12 noon straight up, and another bird was at 6:30PM.  I had another afternoon encounter when I was calling for a guy in 2009, and we got a bird to gobble good at 5PM.  The bird eventually came in, but my buddy threw his gun up way to quickly and spooked the bird.  I realize some states quit at noon, and some at 4PM or similar times, but for you guys that can hunt all day how have y'all fared?
I'll be the first to admit the gobbling is slow to non existent in the PM, and that can make it boring.  I've just found the afternoons to have less compettion from other hunters, and mid to late in the season the hens are on nest or tending to poults.   I also feel a lot more comfortable trying new things in the afternoon as oppossed to mornings when you have traditional gobbling, and hunting scenirio's.    I don't know why that is, I guess it's because I feel I have nothing to loose,  in the afternoons, because I'm usually not hearing much. 
This year with my lease being so close I plan on hunting a lot of afternoons after work. 
I was just curous if y'all liked the afternoons as well.

t_eagen13

We can't turkey hunt in the afternoon here in Missouri, sometimes I wish I could. Not sure how successful it would be but I would like to have the chance at times. I just enjoy my time in the woods and it stinks we have to stop after hunting all morning. It does give me the chance to catch up on some things I need to get done or take a little nap if I need to.

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: t_eagen13 on February 24, 2011, 07:07:37 PM
We can't turkey hunt in the afternoon here in Missouri, sometimes I wish I could. Not sure how successful it would be but I would like to have the chance at times. I just enjoy my time in the woods and it stinks we have to stop after hunting all morning. It does give me the chance to catch up on some things I need to get done or take a little nap if I need to.
When is quiting time for y'all?  Is it noon or do they give you a little bit of the early afternoon?

gob09

in tenn. we hunt all day i killed a bird around 6:30 one day in 2009 and have had other encounters in the afternoon

nctrkyhntr

its all day here. I love to hunt afternoons if I can. I didnt last year once and call a dang tom in. I did a kee kee and he gobbled just on the other side of a tree. He was so close I just about jumped out of my pants. Put it this way he was close enough to see my jump when he scared the crap out of me and took off running lol

t_eagen13

It ends at 1 here in Missouri.

gob09

i think alot of staes still have time limits on hunt hours to produce revenue i imagine if they catch you hunting after hours it'd be a pretty stiff fine
studies have shown that it does no good to have a limit on afertnoon hunting

harvester

I have probably killed almost half of my birds in the evening time. I hunt mostly fields in the evenings. I like to spot them and then try and figure out which way they will go to roost and set up accordingly. If you can get one to respond during the eveing, he is a dead bird if all goes well. Only bad thing about hunting during the evening is those pesky bugs. I usually average 1 or 2 birds a season during the evening. I go out as soon as I get home from work and most of the time skip supper till I get back.

unclerick

Strickly a dawn to mid mourning hunter, I hunt as long as I can but just love those hours.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

mfd1027

I'm probably more of a morning hunter than an afternoon.   I just like the scenario better.  Now that doesn't mean I don't hunt afternoons- far from it.   I move much less in the afternoon and usually have a specific spot I head to and most of those spots are in the swamp.   I fire up the old thermacell and sneak in there and set up.   I'll call every 10-15 min. and not to aggressively.
I like to kee kee in the afternoon like Jon did when he got scared out of his pants  :hello99: and once in awhile I'll fire off a few cutt's afterward's.    It's nice time to be in the wood's.   Everything seems to slow down and it seems like your the only person in the world.    I think that's why I like swamp hunting so much.   I tend to take a nice nap nearly every afternoon too.   
Dan

harvester

I tend to take a nice nap nearly every afternoon too.   
[/quote]

Thats always a bonus.

ElkTurkMan

It's funny Jon & Dan both refrencing the kee kee call.  Today while I was out doing my rounds I was listening to a primos CD and old Will Primos was talking about how the kee kee & the kee kee run, and how they where under used calls during the spring.  It hit me like a ton of bricks!  He was describing certain scenerio's about how this call could work in the spring and I can't belive I never thought of using it.  I guess it had been implanted in my head it was strictly a fall call.  Far from it!!!  Dan & Jon's comments tonight just reinforce that.   

latimer shedhead

To me it's the best time to take older/spooky birds. But.... like shane said it can be boring, it becomes almost like deer hunting except for the heat and most the time they come in quite. So it's who sees who first.

keyser12ga

I enjoy hunting the afternoons, especially in the early season.  If the birds are henned up in the mornings, they are more likely to respond to my calling in the afternoon.