turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scratching

Started by duckaholic25, February 24, 2011, 01:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckaholic25

Just wanting to know what kind of rhythm yall are using when you scratch in the leaves, and if you usually get results. Thanks in advance for any tips.

KYFrid

I can't remember where I read this. (think one of Cuz stricklands books) but think I remember saying turkeys scratch in 3's.  scratch.. pause for a sec then scratch, scratch.

Executioner

Not always. I've videod hens doing 4. God bless.
"Confidence in your God given abilities adds more turkeys to your daily limit" Mike Miller "The Turkey Killer" Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you your hearts desires. Psalm 37:4

timbrhuntr

If you check out the video cams pixcontroller site has out sometimes there are multiple hens there scratching. You can see right from them how they scratch  ;D

guesswho

I have pretty good results scratching, but I have no set patern.  My question would be what does more than one turkey scratching sound like?     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

duckaholic25

Thanks for the tips. Only 23 more days till go time. I am starting to get jacked up!!!!!    :z-guntootsmiley:

R AJ

Bear in mind that it is more important to sound like turkey scratching than to keep a certain number going since there may be multiple hens around. A light twig may give a more realistic sound than your glove hand.

Your boots can scratch and relax your position at times also.

sodfather

Quote from: duckaholic25 on February 24, 2011, 04:20:59 PM
Thanks for the tips. Only 23 more days till go time. I am starting to get jacked up!!!!!    :z-guntootsmiley:
You southern guys are killing me. My season does not start till May 1st. I am jacked up now and I have 2 months to go.

hookedspur

Quote from: sodfather on February 24, 2011, 09:30:47 PM
Quote from: duckaholic25 on February 24, 2011, 04:20:59 PM
You southern guys are killing me. My season does not start till May 1st. I am jacked up now and I have 2 months to go.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

jcarter

I'm not sure how high turkeys can count, but I wouldn't scratch more than 3 or 4 times in a row. ;)  Usually if a gobbler is close enough to hear me scratch in the leaves I'm thinking he is close enough for me to be as still as possible and have both hands on my shotgun. I'm not a big fan of letting a gobbler know exactly where I am sitting anyway.

FttFttVroom!

You will have a hard time finding enough leaves to scratch in where I hunt in western OK.  The few times I have, it never occured to me to try it.

BoWhoop

Watching turkeys, I agree with the  scratch.............scratch....scratch.  It's a natural pattern.  I try not to let the gobbler see me, but I am more worried about someone seeing the movement behind me and shooting me.  Be careful moving like that when you're calling.