OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Well, I actually did miss this time.

Started by BOFF, March 25, 2012, 10:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

Saturday was a perfect morning!!

I was hoping so, as Friday was raining and drizzling.

My friend Mark and I had plans to try another double on Saturday. We almost succeeded.

We heard several birds, and actually moved from a bird we actually laid eyes on with hens, to one gobbling a lot. We got set up again, and the bird went directly away from us, crossed a hollow, to another ridge.

We looped around on him and went as far as I dared. Mark sat down on a big tree, and I learned after the hunt, as soon as he sat down, he saw a white head 200 yards away. I moved 50 yards in back of Mark and called. No answer. I was just about to get in a good dream and GOOOOOBBBBLLLLLLEEEEE-GOOOOOOOOBBBBBLLLLLEEEEE!! I had my hearing protectors turned up, and about wet myself when the bird sounded off 80 yards away from me!!!

I called back, and about wet myself again when Mark shot!! Never saw the bird coming in the oak flat.
Mark started to stand, but I started aggressive purrs and clucks, and he sat back down. I saw through the trees, and heard, his bird getting flogged. A little later I had two red heads appear on the side of a big oak, 45 yards away, but I couldn't see their chest for any beards. No shot.

The birds wandered out in the oak flat, and eventually got cranked up again, with gobbling to my calls. A hen was with them, and I figured there wouldn't be any coming close to me, so I scooted across the road into the oak flat when the gobbling told me it was safe to do so.  Drumming had been going on for a while, and I was able to trace the birds movements.

Eventually a redhead was seen, and I got the red dot on him. His neck was extended looking for me, and I was about to pull the trigger!!  Wait a minute, he's standing right next to a small pine tree, parallel with his neck. He moves a few feet to the side, neck extended, and  BOOOOOM!!!

Awww Crap!!! When he turns and flies off I realize I made a mistake in distance. He was 60-70 yards away!!!!!!  :o

Well, it was bound to happen some time!! He flew up in a tree 60 yards in opposite direction, and flew off 5 minutes later when I went to look the area over. He's educated now.

Regardless, a good 2 year old bird for my Brother Mark, and one of the better hunts with the birds gobbling and answering the calling!!

Spurs were  3/4"; weight was 18.34 lbs. and 9 15/16" paint brush!!

God Bless,
David B.

hookedspur

So you are HUMAN and it sounded like a great time was had !!! Congrats to your brother  :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

redarrow

I cant take it much longer. I gotta move to where I can take more than one bird.  Sorry for the miss. Congrats to your brother.

BOFF

Thanks!!!

I'm actually happier he took one, rather than myself!!!

Like I wrote earlier, one of the better hunts with the birds being vocal and fired up!!

God Bless,
David B.

Woodsman4God

Quote from: redarrow on March 25, 2012, 10:28:45 PM
I cant take it much longer. I gotta move to where I can take more than one bird.  Sorry for the miss. Congrats to your brother.

Agreed Michigan needs to get a clue on how to manage their turkeys

Sorry about the miss, hope you get him next time out

mark72

I had a blast. I will never forget this hunt. Im so blessed to have a brother like David.
Genesis 9:3 ESV 
Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

redarrow

Yep. He'll always have a place in our hearts too.