turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

These trumpets are freaking awesome!!!

Started by drenalinld, March 25, 2012, 11:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drenalinld

Got to get out scouting/listening with my three brothers for a little while yesterday morning. We heard a couple at first light and went to look for others. We heard what sounded like three on the ground about an hour after daylight. I thought they were in a large clear cut, so we drove around to check it out. We got as close as we dared in the truck and then got out to listen. It was quiet for a while, so my brother did a little calling on a pot to try and locate these birds. The creeks were roaring so loud through the 700 acre clear cut that the pot call was drowned out and we didn't hold out much hope of finding them. I decided to try the new Constantine trumpet hanging around my neck. The first few clucks were abruptly cut off by at least four gobblers. I couldn't help myself, I let out a couple yelp sequences each honored by multiple gobblers! We were amazed how the trumpet sound carried and echoed back off of the wood lines with such authority. It was getting out there much better then the glass pot call. The pot call was much louder up close but was not getting a response and was not echoing back to us that we could hear above the roaring creeks. Not the case with the trumpet. I could not believe how that thing echoed back from the ridges and canyons and was easily getting gobbles from over a half mile without playing it hard at all. We walked closer to the birds down a lease road to see about taking some strutting pics. I happened to see a red head at about 100 yards headed our way. We had to squat down in the middle of the road just as a long beard and a little jake buddy come out in the road and proceeded to walk up in our face looking for the hen calls coming from the trumpet. We were four wide in the wide open 15 steps from the long beard and jake. They did not spook but only kept searching for the "hen". We were cramping and shaking from being in a squatted position for what seemed like for ever. They finally wandered off and we were able to stand. We watched a couple of monarchs strut and gobble under my deer stand for a solid hour. My brothers promised not to hunt there opening weekend when I am in the GA/SC swamp. NOT!!!

My first field experience with a trumpet was a real eye opener. Learning how to run one in the truck and in the house I thought of them as a close up call or a finisher, but I can tell you they will get out there with little effort!!

TRKYHTR

I got a call yesterday from Jake Risher. He is Robin Rishers (Preacher) son. He called in 3 longbeards with the trumpet, I sent Robin, yesterday morning and then called in another gobbler yesterday afternoon and the kid he was with shot and missed. He wanted to know what him and his friend needed to do to get me to make them both one. Sounds like they are working. Even a 17 year old boy can call turkeys in with them.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

savduck

That is awesome. And yes those trumpet sound carries. They are hot in the swamp.
Georgia Boy

drenalinld

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 25, 2012, 01:19:34 PM
I got a call yesterday from Jake Risher. He is Robin Rishers (Preacher) son. He called in 3 longbeards with the trumpet, I sent Robin, yesterday morning and then called in another gobbler yesterday afternoon and the kid he was with shot and missed. He wanted to know what him and his friend needed to do to get me to make them both one. Sounds like they are working. Even a 17 year old boy can call turkeys in with them.

TRKYHTR

I was already expecting them to be effective, I just did not expect them to carry the way they do. Sounds like young Jake is a chip off the old block and I'm glad he's on the trumpet wagon.

cannonball

Good to hear those trumpets are working. I'm going to put mine to the test come Saturday morning.

jbrown

Awesome storys guys......a good trumpet is a very deadly call, I don't hunt without one!!!

hoosiernavy

Guys, needing some information on a trumpet call, the who what when etc.  would like to add it to my arsenal and get away from the mass produced stuff.

drenalinld

I just started learning to use them a few months back. They sound really good in the woods. Takes time to learn just like any new call. I have trumpets from pappy, TRKYHTR, merocustomcalls, Gitzit69, and mudpuppi on this site. All are killers. I have posted several video clips and savduck has posted a bunch with different trumpets. Search them out and see what you like. I will play any of them over the phone or make a clip any time you want. TRKYHTR also has a bunch of clips posted on here of his trumpets.

savduck

Quote from: drenalinld on April 01, 2012, 10:08:46 PM
I just started learning to use them a few months back. They sound really good in the woods. Takes time to learn just like any new call. I have trumpets from pappy, TRKYHTR, merocustomcalls, Gitzit69, and mudpuppi on this site. All are killers. I have posted several video clips and savduck has posted a bunch with different trumpets. Search them out and see what you like. I will play any of them over the phone or make a clip any time you want. TRKYHTR also has a bunch of clips posted on here of his trumpets.

You got your Mudpuppi?
Georgia Boy

Basser69

Trumpets are fun and addictive as crack or meth! Just be for warned you cannot stop at one. I keep a couple on order, it seems like. I am still waiting on my second from mudpuppi and the first one from Frank Cox.

hoosiernavy

Thanks fellas, order one yesterday from Trkhnter, should be here by the weekend, going to give it go, looked up the youtube videos.
Will post pics when it gets here.

savduck

Quote from: Basser69 on April 02, 2012, 08:45:58 PM
Trumpets are fun and addictive as crack or meth! Just be for warned you cannot stop at one. I keep a couple on order, it seems like. I am still waiting on my second from mudpuppi and the first one from Frank Cox.

I'm the list for Cox......summer of 2013.
Georgia Boy

cannonball

Quote from: hoosiernavy on April 02, 2012, 09:41:42 PM
Thanks fellas, order one yesterday from Trkhnter, should be here by the weekend, going to give it go, looked up the youtube videos.
Will post pics when it gets here.

You've got a good one on the way! :icon_thumright: