OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Well, I missed........

Started by BOFF, March 23, 2012, 11:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

the scoreboard.

Hunted this bird from roughly 4:00 pm until I shot him at 6:38pm today.

Set up on a ridge with a long field on it, two hollows with open woods on both sides of the ridge.

At 4:00 he was drumming behind me, following some hens. Never could see him, but heard him for roughly 20 minutes. A hen got to cutting back at me, and led him away. Called in 4 hens during the whole time frame. At 6:18 he cut me off, on the other hollow I was facing. 2 minutes later I could hear him drumming up the hollow from left to right, and then staying in one spot. Never would come into the field.

He stopped and I figured he was coming to me, and nothing. 5 minutes later I see 2 red heads appear to my left in the field, from the hollow behind me. They slowly worked their way up to me, and I couldn't tell which was bigger until they were up close.  No way of seeing the spurs as they were in 1-2 foot tall grass. I took the one with the thicker beard, err, before I shot.

I couldn't get my gun set, rushed the shot,  and ended up hitting this one in the chest, and beard. He dropped like a bag of rocks. Feathers, and I'm sure beard hair were in a 8 foot path on the other side of him afterward. He ended up being a 10.5" pencil beard. LOL

Only a 2 year old with 3/4" spurs, and 16 something lbs. Still not sure this was the one drumming.  I really don't think it was.

Regardless, his buddy hung around, and was begging to be shot. Hopefully he'll be a candidate for later.

Good hunt, but nothing for the scoreboard.

God Bless,
David B.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

briancady

redarrow

At least your having lots of fun. Good job.

Woodsman4God

Well congrats on another one even if hes not a limbhanger your still doing what I wish I could start doing.

kamski1151

Way to go Boff....... He's a keeper :icon_thumright:

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

BOFF

Many heartfelt thanks gentlemen.

They are all keepers and all have special memories!!

When it stops being that way, I won't be doing it anymore.  ;)

God Bless,
David B.

perrysbirds

Congrats your having lots of fun already..
If I aint out shooting deer
Im home drinking beer

chatterbox

Congrats on a great bird, David! :icon_thumright:

anthonyjhallen

Dang, how many more tags you got left?

I gotta move to Bama.

BOFF

Quote from: anthonyjhallen on March 25, 2012, 11:31:54 AM
Dang, how many more tags you got left?

I gotta move to Bama.

I have 2 of the 5, left. Hopefully it will be an older bird, if there is a next time.

God Bless,
David B.