turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi Metal Turkey LOads

Started by Big Willie, March 22, 2012, 08:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Willie

Has anyone shot or patterned any Hevi Metal shells. The guy at the sporting good store said to shoot 4's instead of 6's. He said there are two differnt kind of shot sizes in a shell. I shot some hevi metal at ducks this year it was very good.

TrophyTracker

The shells pattern fine out to 40yds. They are designed for shots to that range and under. They contain #4's in steel, and #6's in Hevi Shot together in one shell.

I tested different constrictions, but found the best one for the 3 and 3.5in shells to be in the .690-.699 range.

They will get the job done if you call them in close, and are not worried about longballing them
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

Philippe

Junk! Shoot regular hevi-13 or fed heavy weights or another htl shell.

goblr77

For close work you might as well use lead.

Philippe

Quote from: goblr77 on March 23, 2012, 08:42:33 AM
For close work you might as well use lead.

I talked to a rep about this shell and the only thing that made any sense was it is a cheaper alternative for people who hunt in non-tox areas. Still, spend the extra few bucks and use a real HTL load.

budtripp

Doesn't make sense to pay more to shoot steel at a turkey, when lead would work better for less dough.

JDogg

have any of you actually tested it, or just making assumptions?

JDogg

I patterned out to 50 yds and was pleasantly surprised with the results.  The steel 4's actually had deeper penetration in a 2x4 than the Hevi 6's.  They also caused a larger channel of damage.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: JDogg on March 24, 2012, 06:30:26 PM
I patterned out to 50 yds and was pleasantly surprised with the results.  The steel 4's actually had deeper penetration in a 2x4 than the Hevi 6's.  They also caused a larger channel of damage.

Number one:  Seriously??!!   :o  Steel 4s are almost gonna BOUNCE OFF a turkey at 50 yards let alone carry enough energy to break spine and skull bones!  There is simply no way those 4s are going to out penetrate the smaller and denser 6 hevi shot.  Period.  Advocating  shots like that, and that is exactly what you're doing is simply wrong and unethical. 

Number 2:  The admin here on the OG do not allow patterning, talk of patterning or pics of patterns over 40 yards. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

k9hunter2

EM had a bad idea.  Why would they load steel for a turkey load ?

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: k9hunter2 on March 24, 2012, 07:52:58 PM
EM had a bad idea.  Why would they load steel for a turkey load ?

Beats me!  I know hevi Metal straight blisters big canda geese but you only have to break a much lighter neck/spine and flight bones and penetrate much less dense down feathers to get to the vitals.  See where I'm going with this?  You can hit a goose just about anywhere with it and it will pull em right outta the air.  You need to put those pellets into the head and neck of a big gobbler to ensure quick and sudden CNS shutdown, and if you body swat one like a goose or a duck, you MIGHT kill him but he'll like die after runnign or flying off before that and leave the shooter wondering what the heck just happened...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

dotson636

my rem 870 sm wouldn't shoot them at all!!

Michigander

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 24, 2012, 07:49:41 PM

Number one:  Seriously??!!   :o  Steel 4s are almost gonna BOUNCE OFF a turkey at 50 yards let alone carry enough energy to break spine and skull bones!  There is simply no way those 4s are going to out penetrate the smaller and denser 6 hevi shot.  Period.  Advocating  shots like that, and that is exactly what you're doing is simply wrong and unethical.

X2 As stated in another post, I killed one with steel #4's at 40 one time. How? I have no idea, and it was stupid to try.

JDogg

NUmber 1

Dont call me a liar.   I spent the 12 bucks so I would know what they do in real life.  I stand behind it.  They went into the 2x4 farther than the 6's.

Number 2

As I said in the other thread where I wrote up the specifics I went farther than 40 hoping to get a a better disparity of penetration between the steel and Hevi.  However reality is that it didn't happen.

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 24, 2012, 07:49:41 PM

Number 2:  The admin here on the OG do not allow patterning, talk of patterning or pics of patterns over 40 yards. 

runngun

Steel will NOT out penetrate Hevi!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.