only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi Metal Turkey LOads

Started by Big Willie, March 22, 2012, 08:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDogg

Quote from: runngun on March 24, 2012, 09:35:19 PM
Steel will NOT out penetrate Hevi!!!

That statement is full of ignorance.  If the pellets are the same size then yes, a heavier Hevi will out penetrate the steel.  However a number4 steel weighs slightly more than a Hevi 6.  Therefore it is completely understandable that the steel 4 would just slightly beat the 6. That is simple physics.  Plus I saw it with my own eyes.  Do your own test if you don't believe me.  BTW when we measured the penetration from the entrance hole the depth of the two types of the pellets was the same.  It was only the thickness of the number 4's that reached farther.

mightyjoeyoung

Ok, here goes so try to keep up?  I hhave done my own tests believe me!  On paper and under real world hunting conditions on a whole bunch of live birds.  I hunt geese...a lot.  I have killed in excess of 3000 birds in the last 25 years or so in multiple states and have quite litterally used just about every single steel load introduced since 1991.  This past 2 seasons I bought 3 cases of hevi metal in both 2s and BB and saw first hand how well they work on big resident canada honkers from ranges of at your feet to 50+ yards.  The HM goose which is the SAME load as the turkey loads only with smaller shot and about 150 fps less velocity. Again geese are no where near as tough as a big spring gobbler, though they can be hard to kill in the late season when they're all downed up and have a tendency to pull up short of a decoy spread after having been hammered on for the last 3 months.  The thing about waterfowl patterns is that they are designed to be large enough to hit the bird EVERYWHERE or at least give you a large enough pattern to allow a large margin for error on flying birds.  You do not have that option with turkey.  While the HM patterned beautifully for me, it was with a choke no tighter than modified Lfull steel) and the patterns at 30-40 yards were still 30-40" in diameter.  Way to large for turkey.  Any tighter and the patterns started to blow in every single gun/choke I ran then through.  I have around 6 cases of waterfowl ammo not including the HM.  I have a lot of choices when it comes to which loading I want to use.  I chose HM over any and all the others last season except for straight hevi.   When we cleaned our birds shot with HM at extended ranges, we found that even though they started out at 1550 fps, the STEEL shot in those rounds penetrated apro. 40-45% LESS than the hevi shot that at the same ranges got almost to complete pass through penetration on some very large late season geese.  That is fact.  Period.  The pellets in these loads are sized to MATCH the balistics of the other in the load identically.  The steel shot is a tad LIGHTER than the htl shot and being lighter AND larger it will not penetrate as well as the htl shot/and slows down much faster than the htl shot.  You bought a 5 count box, tried them out and took your findings as gospel.  How many of those rounds do you have left from that box?  I guarantee you you haven't fired enough of them to get a true sampling of how they perform if you have any rounds left in that box.  It sucks to here but its true.  Steel is not a good choice for a tough bird like a turkey at any range outside of 30 yards and you claim they'll penetrate as good or better than the hevi shot in the load?  Can't happen pure and simple, especially at 50 yards!  Not calling you a liar, but I'm also not not calling you one either. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

JDogg

Sorry, steel pellet weighs more. Not calling you a liar just saying you speak without knowing what you are talking about.
Steel #4 .14144 grams
Hevi   #6 .13710 grams
  It was shot out of a Mossberg SSI-One with factory nonported turkey choke.  And to be honest I was afraid to even shoot it through that, I thought it would stick  my choke so I lathered the threads in in anti-seize.
  Look if you look at my post count you would see that a hardly get involved in threads like this.  However I just shot this stuff last week and my buddy and myself saw exactly what happend to that chunk of 2x4.  Did every number 4 beat the 6?No, but some of the 6's where on the surface too.  Overall the penetration was the same from both and that is what happened.

Geese are not turkeys.  Do you try to only shoot the head of geese? I don't think so.  Body shots with feathers are a whole different story.

yelpy

My experiance with steel is that you need to get them smoken fast to kill.. Steel BB's and BBB's do put them honkers to the ground but with lots of speed. I have shot a few geese with the Hev steel loads at close ranges and they just shook it off but it was not the same load you are talking about.

As far as turkeys go, if you are confident in the load than I say give it a shot. I have seen and heard of turkeys beeing taken with lead #7's in a 410. 

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: JDogg on March 25, 2012, 09:46:41 AM

Sorry, steel pellet weighs more. Not calling you a liar just saying you speak without knowing what you are talking about.
Steel #4 .14144 grams
Hevi   #6 .13710 grams
 It was shot out of a Mossberg SSI-One with factory nonported turkey choke.  And to be honest I was afraid to even shoot it through that, I thought it would stick  my choke so I lathered the threads in in anti-seize.
 Look if you look at my post count you would see that a hardly get involved in threads like this.  However I just shot this stuff last week and my buddy and myself saw exactly what happend to that chunk of 2x4.  Did every number 4 beat the 6?No, but some of the 6's where on the surface too.  Overall the penetration was the same from both and that is what happened.

Geese are not turkeys.  Do you try to only shoot the head of geese? I don't think so.  Body shots with feathers are a whole different story.

You just keep stepping right in it don't you?  Geez!  It's like trying to argue with a drunk!  The density of the #6 hevi 13 in the hevi metal loads is .1418 per pellet...that's HEAVIER than the steel shot in those loads, which is why it stacked ahead of the steel shot in the first place...to match the steel ballistically.  Don't believe me?  Not that I care, but here's the advertisment for your viewing pleasure copied right from the web site..  What you don't know is that I know more than one hevi rep/prostaffer and used to work in the hunting sales industry as a retail buyer for almost a decade.  Oh, BTW. you better believe I shoot for the head and neck of a goose!  You swing through the bird from butt to body to beak and squeeze off the shot as you swing.  Guys who hit them in the body are AIMING their guns and that is why they're hitting them in the body.  They're not doing it on purpose.  They're doing it because they don't know how to wing shoot.  Why body slam them when you're throwing patterns made for giving you the ability to head shot them in flight?!  Cheers. :TrainWreck1:

Hevi-Metal® Turkey Loads
The power of HEVI-Shot at a more affordable price
Fielded-tested layered design
HEVI-Shot No. 6 pellets over steel No. 4 pellets
Pattern-Density Technology puts more pellets on target
The turkey-tumbling, one-and-done power of Hevi-Shot® Magnum Blend™ and Hevi-13® at a more affordable price. These load features a layered design with Hevi-Shot No. 6 pellets over premium steel No. 4 pellets for a potent knockout punch. Pattern-Density™ Technology puts 20% more pellets on target for performance at up to 40 yards. Custom-loaded on proprietary equipment for unmatched consistency. Available in 12-gauge and 20-gauge loads. Per 5. Made in USA.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

JDogg

Actually after doing some more reading on it we are both wrong.  The Hevi Shot in the Hevi-metal loads is slightly under 10gcc making it on par with lead.  They make the hevi shot in the Hevi Metal loads to very closely match the steel shot.  You can read that on their forums, posted by the EM representatives.

The previous numbers I posted were taken right from the FAQ's on this site
Anyway I saw the results with my own eyes 4's beat 6's in a  2x4 lasered 50

Philippe

chatterbox

I went to Dicks in Concord today, and they carry both Hevi Magblends and this Hevi-Metal that EM is pedeling.
All I can say is that most of the Magblends were sold, yet that Hevi-metal hasn't seemed to have budged.
Just sayin'..............

Philippe

Quote from: chatterbox on March 25, 2012, 07:06:01 PM
I went to Dicks in Concord today, and they carry both Hevi Magblends and this Hevi-Metal that EM is pedeling.
All I can say is that most of the Magblends were sold, yet that Hevi-metal hasn't seemed to have budged.
Just sayin'..............

I learned my lesson with that hevi-metal crap during duck/goose season.