Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

can any one or more answer this question ????????????

Started by archery1, March 21, 2012, 10:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archery1

WHY IS IT  .. THAT SOME PEOPLE SHOOT THERE GUN AND THEN DRAW THE CIRCLES AROUND THE DENSEST  PART OF THE PATTERN ??????  I GUESS THEY CAN SIGHT IN LATER OR USE SOME KENTUCKY WINDAGE ???
SHOULD'NT U DRAW CIRCLES PUT UR DOT ON AND THEN SHOOT AT DOT ? NOT SHOOT THEN DRAW UR CIRCLESS
Take a kid hunting

Tom Foolery

Adjustable sights, all you gotta do is move them and center your pattern.

hunter-b

K9Doc

Many of us on here are shooting multiple loads and choke combinations looking for the best pattern densities in both 10" and 20" rings.  Once i decide on a combo, I dial my scope in with that load and choke combo. :z-guntootsmiley:

It's the same with my rifle loads.  Pick a spot and shoot a group.  When i find the right combo, I sight in my 6.5x284 Norma and shoot 'em a long long way!!!  White-tailed deer that is. :smiley-char092:
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Longshanks

I pattern my guns to have the pattern density in the center of the pattern 10"-20".I shoot a big peice of paper and adjust the POA/POI with sights only if the pattern is uniform and density is in the center of the pattern. Drawing a circle around the most dense part of the pattern if it's not in the center of the patter..serves me no purpose. Pattern density being out of the center of the pattern is a gun/choke/shell problem. Back to the drawing board if that's the issue.

Gobble!

Shoot. Find the densest spot draw a circle. Adjust your sight for that densest part and shoot again. Same thing you do for a rifle but you need to actually find your densest part of the pattern and adjust for it not just look for one hole and adjust.

Tom Foolery

Quote from: Lovtofly on March 22, 2012, 12:03:09 AM
Kentucky windage.
My Stoeger shoots 8" low with any shell.
Been meaning to put the barrel in a press and correct it, but have not got around to it.  Still have not lost a turkey in 3 years, I'll guess, I'll wait.
I'll be danged if I will put a sight on it.
Beads are for shotguns,... sights and scopes are for rifles.
I thought we were shooting 40 and under,...lol

So you would rather guess or hold off 8" - 10" instead of fixing the problem with a set of sights?

I look at it as sights and scopes are to correct firearms that don't shoot POA/POI, but I am a simpleton.  I have to have my gun hitting where I aim it.

Longshanks

Quote from: Gobble! on March 22, 2012, 01:31:39 PM
Shoot. Find the densest spot draw a circle. Adjust your sight for that densest part and shoot again. Same thing you do for a rifle but you need to actually find your densest part of the pattern and adjust for it not just look for one hole and adjust.

If a gun is stacking the majority of the pellets at the bottom/top or left/right of the pattern. Something is not right. Might want to investigate that if that's the case.

Longshanks

Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 22, 2012, 01:49:29 PM
Quote from: Lovtofly on March 22, 2012, 12:03:09 AM
Kentucky windage.
My Stoeger shoots 8" low with any shell.
Been meaning to put the barrel in a press and correct it, but have not got around to it.  Still have not lost a turkey in 3 years, I'll guess, I'll wait.
I'll be danged if I will put a sight on it.
Beads are for shotguns,... sights and scopes are for rifles.
I thought we were shooting 40 and under,...lol

So you would rather guess or hold off 8" - 10" instead of fixing the problem with a set of sights?

I look at it as sights and scopes are to correct firearms that don't shoot POA/POI, but I am a simpleton.  I have to have my gun hitting where I aim it.

:agreed:

Tom Foolery

To me holding at the top of his head is holding off.  I hold on the waddles that way if he moves I know it. 

Looks like it's working for you, wear it out!   :z-guntootsmiley:

archery1

some funny replies       :lol:
i just don't get it.. some people say wow..look at this pattern... i got x amount in the 10" and x amount in the 20 " circle at 40 yards...
ok.. well get ur gun sighted in.. then shoot sum patterns.. and post them..
we all can get better numbers.... if we shoot ..then draw circles around the densest part  of the pattern
Take a kid hunting

Tom Foolery

Shooting a pattern is just showing you what the gun is capable of.  When you see what your gun can do it's time to center the pattern.  Sights and stuff are adjustable to the densest part of the pattern.  It would take a real rocket surgeon to have a set of sights and not set them to center their pattern.

Honestly, I really don't see where you are going with this, or why it is confusing??   ???

C J Stahly

I shoot mine, draw a circle, adjust the sight, and shoot again. I get as many in a 10 circle around my point of aim as I did when I shot then drew the circle. I guess that's when you know your gun is hitting where you are aiming.

I'm trying to figure out why this theory is wrong. You shoot a bow, rifle, pistol, anything else and identify where it hit, then adjust.so you are hitting where you are aiming.......

Jake#5

Quote from: Gobble! on March 22, 2012, 01:31:39 PM
. :icon_thumright: :agreed:

paladin

drawing the circle around the aim point is the last thing we do.
The first patterns are usually off from point of aim. You draw the circle where the densest portion is. Before I go hunting my point of aim will be very close to the center of the densest area. any pattern you have on paper, weather  on the point of aim or not, tells you what that shell choke combo will do. Patterning is expensive.
Adjusting shotgun sights is not easy. It is very easy to adjust too much. I don't sight my gun in and then count the hits to decide if is good enough.  What I am saying is it is about the money. Rest asured. They are sighted in on opening day.
"have gun-will travel"