OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Grilled turkey breast

Started by FullChoke, March 21, 2012, 05:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

GRILLED TURKEY BREAST

Components:
1 side of a wild turkey breast
Saran Wrap
Cajun Injector Marinade
Tony Chachere's Cajun spice
Honey
Thick cut bacon strips
Heavy wooden toothpicks

Take one breast from a gobbler and wrap it tightly in Saran wrap. Inject the breast thoroughly right through the Saran Wrap with your favorite marinade, mine is the Creole Garlic flavor. Place breast on a plate and set it in the refrigerator for about 1-2 hours.

Take the meat out of the refrigerator. Start your barbecue grill to bring it up to temperature or to allow the charcoal to lightly ash over. Plan on a medium high grill.

Remove the wrap from the meat, cut the breast in half and pat it dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle all surfaces of the meat very well with the Cajun Spice. Lay out the bacon strips tight against each other on a cookie sheet, placing the breast on them to judge for number of strips needed. Cover a breast with a thick coat of honey, spreading evenly over the entire breast and quickly wrap the breast/honey with the bacon, pinning the ends of the bacon with the toothpicks on the sides of the breast. Give the bacon a shake of the Cajun spice as well. Repeat the process with the other breast. Place the beasts in the refrigerator until the grill is ready.

Place the 2 bacon wrapped breasts on the grill at medium high heat with a few ears of sweet corn. Close the lid and cook approximately 11 minutes then turn the meat over on the  rack. Any honey/juice that has run off of the meat into the cookie sheet can be added to the cooked surface as a baste at this time. Close the lid and make a crisp salad.

Once the meat has cooked for an additional 11 minutes, take the two pieces off of the grill, place on a serving platter and cover it with aluminum foil to allow it to rest for about 10 minutes. Place it in a warm location of the kitchen.

Serve the turkey with the grilled corn on the cob with herbed butter, green salad, cold sweet tea and homemade bread and butter pickles. 

Enjoy. :z-winnersmiley:   :drool:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Ricochet

Awesome recipe - I did this tonight and it was a hit!
-JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of thunder chickens in the morning...

blackmagic

Sounds good.  Do you cook the bacon wrapped meat directly over the fire, or on a cookie sheet on the grill?

Ricochet

Quote from: blackmagic on April 13, 2012, 01:18:44 PM
Sounds good.  Do you cook the bacon wrapped meat directly over the fire, or on a cookie sheet on the grill?
We had to reread it a couple times to figure that out, and you put them directly on the grill. The cookie sheet is where you can go to get leftover stuff to baste/brush it with while cooking.
-JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of thunder chickens in the morning...

hotrod49er

FullChoke

Thanks for trying this recipe out. Everyone that has tried wild turkey breast this way has had the same opinion, they LOVE it. I do too. This has become the preferred method for cooking turkey breast in the FullChoke household.
Cheers!  :happy0064:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Crappiepro

I got half a breast marinating right now in Moore's marinate. I'll be grilling it this evening. I wish I would have seen this before LOL. I'll be trying the other half this way.
Thanks for posting this recipe!!

Selluwud

Full Choke,

I think I found your favorite. Hopefully I will have the chance to try this one and many more. Thanks.
5/4ths of people don't understand fractions