turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

comb raising kits

Started by fountain2, March 21, 2012, 08:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain2

I think I may need a comb kit for my 835 tt with a red dot. Will it help to raise my head and reduce cheek slap?  Will I need to re-sight the dot?  I shot the other day and somehow busted mt gum ip...when it hits my braces it ain't pretty and don't feel good :z-dizzy:.  I hope the comb kit will help me with this.  I also have a pistol grip stock for it as well and its really bad...the comb on it drops down and I only shot it once...that 2 7/16 oz nitro quickly told me I need to change that...also the one that I shot the other day was a big load nitro...I just need something here and I think the comb kit is gonna be my helper.  What y'all think and what's your experience?

whiskey

The comb rise kit may help you out, but shooting heavy loads in a pump gun is just painful for the most part. I don't have braces, but I can imagine it sucks getting hit in the mouth from the gun. You can add a cheap stick on comb riser and try it.

Pack you a big wad of Hubba Bubba in your cheek for the first shot to keep your mouth safe. :)

ILIKEHEVI-13

Bear Tooth Comb Kit

I bought mine from Cabelas.  It works better than great.  No more cheek slap that results in those eye/cheek knots.   :lol:

And yes it will put your eye exactly at the right level for your scope or dot sight.  All you have to do is put the appropriate pad or pads inside of it. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's mine.  I have just 1 pad inside mine.  I wished I would have bought one years ago. 

K9Doc

I second the beartooth comb kit.  I went and got some seat cushion foam and added a lot of. cushion to mine.  I didn't like the small spacers.  The seat foam wraps around the top and sides of stock and stays put better than the factory spacers.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

joshb311

I have been debating on the comb kit as well. I'm a real skinny guy (155 lbs) and don't have much to stop a recoil. I cracked my cheekbone last year with some 3 1/2" Xtended Range that smacked back on me. I think I'm going to give the kit a try.   

reynolds243

The accuriser is better IMO but both are nice.

FullChoke

I actually made mine out of the sleeve from an old scuba wet suit. I cut out a couple of ovals and slid them under the sleeve until I had the rise I needed. I wrapped it in camo tape to hold it all together.

Good luck

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

allaboutshooting

It's almost amazing how much even a thin neoprene sleeve can help with cheek slap. My 935 is a great gun, shoot wonderful patterns but the cheek slap was distracting and painful. I put a thin sleeve over the comb and the problem was solved.

If you need a bit of height, I like to use a sleeve and some foam pipe wrap under it. It fits the contour of the comb of most guns and works very well for me.

I hope you find some of this information helpful.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

C J Stahly

I have an accuriser for my tristar and it works well for me.  With that said.  I wish it was a little softer....but them again the buttstock isn't made of foam either I guess.