OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need suggestions on short barrel 1187

Started by BBD, March 19, 2012, 10:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBD

Buddy of mine has an 1187 that he had to get the barrel cut down and rethreaded at 21"   So far he has found nothing that will produce a solid pattern past 30 yards.  What shell/choke combination do y'all suggest?

HuntSource

I have a 21" 11-87. It began life that way though. I've had pretty good success with a Briley Hevi-Shot Turkey choke as well as a Rhino. I haven't worked with it as much as my Vincis. However, I routinely get low 200s in the 10" for 3", 2oz Hevi-13 #7s and my #6 "Old Whites will yield about 120-ish at 40yd. That's not sterling performance, but it's quite functional.

What exactly has he tried so far and what kind of numbers is he getting at 40yd? Is he running lead or HTL loads?

MS Hntr

I shoot a Remington super full in my 21" with Mag Blends. I've also shot a Jellyhead .660 that did pretty good with Hevi 6's.  Several people on here shoot Indian Creek chokes with very good patterns with Hevi 7's or Mag Blends.

SKFOOTER

I shoot the Jellyhead .660 and the Hevi-13 .662 chokes in my 21" barrel Remington and get 200+ in the 40 yard 10" circle  with both the 3"-2oz- Hevi-13 #7s and the 3"-2 oz- MagBlends. :OGturkeyhead:

remmy1187

Shooting the IC .665 with my 11-87 and a 6x7 hevi shot hand load.  Get really good numbers with my setup, but every gun/barrel combo is going to be different.  Best of luck finding the right combo!