OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester Xtended range #4

Started by camodawg, March 19, 2012, 04:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camodawg

I was recently given a new box of winchester extended range 3 1/2" #4.
I've been shooting hevi 13 #6 with really good results, I'm shooting a 23" barrel 870 with a .660 jellyhead choke. My question is I've read about shooting a choke out and some say it needs to be more open than the .660 in a 870 for the bigger shot. Will it hurt anything to shoot them?
I would swap them out for 6's but I'm missing 1 shell.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: camodawg on March 19, 2012, 04:51:39 PM
I was recently given a new box of winchester extended range 3 1/2" #4.
I've been shooting hevi 13 #6 with really good results, I'm shooting a 23" barrel 870 with a .660 jellyhead choke. My question is I've read about shooting a choke out and some say it needs to be more open than the .660 in a 870 for the bigger shot. Will it hurt anything to shoot them?
I would swap them out for 6's but I'm missing 1 shell.

First of all, welcome to OG. It's good to see you hear and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Your JH choke is rated for tungsten-based shot, so those shells should not hurt it in any way.

I do believe however that you'll be much better off with smaller shot, like #6 but in reality, you'll never know until you try.

Those shells will however give you quite a wallop when you touch them off. Hang on!

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

FttFttVroom!

Like Clark said, shouldn't hurt anything but your shoulder! :icon_thumright:

Frankinthelaurels

Hain't that the truth, all of these super shells hurt the shoulder!!! One things for sure..there's far less shot with the #4's but it only takes a few number 4's to break the neck vertebrae. I'LL bet they will pattern beautifully..

camodawg

Thanks for the replys. My main worry was the .660 constriction choke being too tight. This setup shoots mighty good with the #6 hevi 13 and I didn't want to mess it up. But I like to try different loads so I'm going to try them out.