turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sweet Talk Dad out of the Old 870

Started by Gooserbat, March 19, 2012, 03:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Dad has my great uncles 870.  It has a 30" fixed full plain barel.  the gun is an early model with a corn cob forarm and the barel is marker 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 shells.  I presume it's an early 50s production.  I've been thinking of sweet talking dad out of it for a hunt and killing a bird with it this spring.  What shells do you guys think would be a good load.  I am looking at Winchester 2 3/4 #6
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

nyhunter

If you can find a 2 3/4" win. xteded range#6 i'd try them.

savduck

Man thats cool. If your real worried about it, Id find some bismuth. I have about 8 boxes of 2 3/4 #5s to shoot out of my old fox SS
Georgia Boy

albrubacker

I had good luck with 2 3/4" 5 shot Kent Diamond in a old Ithaca model 37 and shoot half decent in my super nova. If the wife decides she wants to try thats what we are using.

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Mild Bill

neat old school gun.

Those old Rem fixed full barrels typically ran 0.040 to 0.042 of choke, so while not like the current turkey choke offerings they were a tight full.
You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them.

budtripp

I used to shoot the win xx 2/34" 6's of of my dads old 870 with the 30" full choke trap barrel, they did pretty well on paper but never shot a bird with them that year. Just gave me the idea of taking it out sometime and maybe killing a bird with it

mossy835

I have an old JC Higgins model 20 12 ga that I use to shoot Environ classic doubles #6 at pheasants. Hits hard and seems to pattern well (10 rounds per box) Softer than lead but you need to pattern them for reasonable distance.