turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

back from the forest and survied.

Started by hootn, March 18, 2012, 11:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hootn

of course no luck, not because of the lack of trying. thursday couldnt get a shot at the two cause of the glare in my site. that afternoon i roosted one from the camp. friday morning set up on him but the way i went in was WRONG. had a bunch of deep ditches canes more than i thought. finally got close to him but could not get up below him cause he would have seen me. got him within 100 yards before he left. saturday morning i heard 3 gobbling across the road where 4 trucks went in before daylight with one coming back out.
yesterday afternoon i roosted one from the camp again. i think it was the same one i roosted from the camp thursday afternoon. he was in a different spot. half mile from camp.
knew about where he was, eased in way early this morning and thought i knew which ridge he was on but didnt know if i was at the right one. so i waited an hour for some light to see if he would gobble, hooted and nothing. started easing towards another ridge i hoped he was on. turned out when he did gobble i was right the first time and if i knew for sure i would nave been in his lap. but this is hunting.
eased down the ridge i was on and was able to get within 120 yards from where he was gobbling on the roost. he flew down and went across the ridge. i was able to get him coming to me. this bird was gobbling a lot, in fact he gobbled a few times so long he an out of air and was it seemed like he was choking. i get him coming and every time i would cluck or scratch the leaves he gobbles. getting closer ever minute, still cant see him.
after 15 minutes he all of sudden puts and flies to the ridge i started down.lands in a tree then lands on the ground. i dont know what happened. called a few times to him nothing. then i see a coyote coming down the ridge towards me, he stops about 60 yards out looking for me, do you know you can call in a coyote by scratching in the leaves.... well he gets 30 yards from me and he is down. a big yote, so i saved a few turkeys buy giving him a dirt nap.
Now i just got to get back down there. just got to see what the weather does. i believe i heard a total 11 birds gobbling those 4 days and even had a couple of jakes trying to gobble.

scott

BamaProud

Sounds like there are still plenty birds in the swamp.  They sure gave me fits...I got really close 3 or 4 times but cound never seal the deal.
Save the Little ones for the Little Ones.

RutnNStrutn

T-town

I enjoyed camping with you guys. We'll bring home a bird next time