OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

HW 7s through my new 870 20 gauge

Started by mightyjoeyoung, March 18, 2012, 09:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

Worked up a killer 20 gauge for my nephew last year and I finally just couldn't take it any more and broke down and picked up a synthetic youth model last night.  Set it up with the pollished pipe, .570 Jelly Head, saddle mount and red dot, and a blackhawk stock. Put some Fed. HW 7s through it after zeroing and it did pretty decent at 40 yards, giving a nice, even 176 in the 10" and the rest in an even 20".  

Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

MS Hntr

bgbuck153

cannonball

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: bgbuck153 on March 18, 2012, 09:21:34 PM
What choke are you using ?

JellyHead .570.  Works for me with the Fed. HWs.  

I also have a PG I'm going to try on my next day off.  If I don't get the numbers and pattern I'm after then with the hevi shot 6s I have then it off to Sumtoy for a custom jobby.  

bgbuck153

FttFttVroom!

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 22, 2012, 12:51:05 PM
Pattern looks great! I would run several through it, to get a good average of what the gun is consistently capable of.

I actually ran 4 rounds through the same gun/choke.  Cleaned (bore snaked twice) between shots.  They avg'd a really low but only because I I got one bad wad, where the rear petals had a TON of excess material (flash) and it blew chunks out of the ports and muzzle which I am sure blew the pattern to heck.  Without that "bad" shot, the other three shots avg'd high 150's/low 160's.  Can't remember the exact numbers, but none were less than 157 in the hole.   The bad wad threw a horendous pattern, and I am actually wondering if I should't  hit Federal up for a new box of ammo because of it?...