OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Feedback and opinions wanted...

Started by turkeywhisperer, March 18, 2012, 12:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeywhisperer

Ok guys... tried to pattern my 535 again this morning.  I was having poi/poa issues bit I seem to have fixed that problem. This morning I tried 2 different loads and chokes and here are the results...

HV Magblend 3" 2 oz
Measured 40 yards
Hevi shot choke .662
138 in 10"
Polished barrel

Shot #2

Same load and choke
116 in 10"

Shot #3

Winchester HV#5 1-3/4 oz
98 in 10"

I also tried the factory .670 choke but the results were terrible.

I think with the polished barrel and Hevi shot it should be putting up better numbers.  The pattern also looked a little spotty... like it might be blowing up a little. I will post pattern pics later.

All opinions,suggestions, and feedback welcome.

I am sorry guys... meant to post this in the general shooting section...

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

mcgruff1533

How long is the barrel on your 535?    If it's a shorter barrel, you might find the pattern numbers are lacking when compared to a longer tube such as a 26-28" barrel.     

One thing I've found with my 20" barreled 535 is that it shoots best when the barrel and choke are squeaky clean.     Subsequent shots (with the same choke and load) suffer by at least 20-30 pellets in the 10" just by shooting with a dirty barrel.

turkeywhisperer

It is the 20 barrel.  I swabbed the barrel betweven shots. I just expected better numbers from the Magblends and Hevi shot choke I guess.
Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

cannonball

You should be getting better numbers than that. Something is not right. BTW, what part of Tennessee are you from?

turkeywhisperer

Ok guys.. I think I have found a shell that this shotgun/choke likes well enough to hunt with.  Here are the pics of my earlier patterns

1.  Mossberg 535 - 20" Barrel
     3" Magblends
     Measured 40 Yards
     Temp 68 degrees - Winds less than 5 mph
      Hevi Shot .662 Choke
      131 in 10" @ 40

2.  Mossberg 535 - 20" Barrel
     All other variables the same
     Win. HV 1 3/4 #5
     98 in 10" @ 40

I wasn't happy with either one of those. The barrel had been deep cleaned and polished so I was expecting better numbers. 

I think I have found one that would work

3.  Mossberg 535 - 20" barrell
     Hevishot .662 choke
     Hevishot #6  2 oz

I think the choke was a little tight for the Magblends and the #5's and was blowing up the pattern a little so I dropped down to the #6 Hevishot and got 191 in the 10" circle.

What do you guys think?

turkeywhisperer

Oh yeah cannonball.. I am from the Signal Mountain/Dunlap area.  That is north of Chattanooga.  Where are you located?

cannonball

Quote from: turkeywhisperer on March 18, 2012, 10:29:01 PM
Oh yeah cannonball.. I am from the Signal Mountain/Dunlap area.  That is north of Chattanooga.  Where are you located?

I'm in Knoxville. I was going to offer you a 3" Hevi #7 to try if you were closer and we could meet up. It looks lilke those 6's will smoke one though! I'm glad you found a shell that works for you.

MossbergMike

Looks good whisperer. Now we got to get my gun set up so we can smoke us some tom's. Nice pattern you can't ask for much more than that :z-winnersmiley:

Tom Foolery

A friend came over this weekend to pattern is Winchester 1300+JH+Magblends - 108  and 99 were his totals. 

Signal Mountain area, you gots some goooood football down there with them and South Pitt.