turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My sons Louisiana Youth Weekend turkey!

Started by handcannon, March 18, 2012, 11:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handcannon

This morning my son Blake and I got the job done. This is Louisiana's youth weekend and after yesterday seeing 15 different birds yesterday and not getting to pull the trigger we thought we had a pretty good game plan for this morning.

We got to the woods and was waiting to hear where the birds had roosted so we could sneek in without getting busted. Well, a bird I had heard earlier in the week started hammering behind us. He just kept on and I told my son we needed to trash our game plan and head after the other one. He was just off of the main gravel and hammering at everything. I got him set up in his gobbler lounger and I backed up behind him and layed down off the road. I gave him a little light yelping to let him know I was there. Well, he ended up staying in the tree a lot longer than he should have waiting on the hen to come to him but he must have gobbled 200 times on the limb. Finally after a little scratching in the leaves, he flew down. It wasnt long before he was coming down the road putting on a show. I had a hard time seeing him through the brush but I could tell what he was doing. After about 5 minutes, he turned and started to go off the road to go into the woods and find (me) the hen. As soon as he got to the edge, I told my son to shoot him. He fired and the turkey started running away. I told him to shoot again and he rolled him up at about 40 yards. By the time I got up off the ground, that boy had already ran about 30 yards to the bird. I have never seen him move that fast. Found out that his first shot cut down a small 1" sapling about 10' in front of him.

Anyhow, it was a good 2 year old. He weighed in at 19 pounds and had a 9" beard and 3/4" spurs. This boy is ate up with it now. This is his third bird now.  He's sure made me proud.

slamman

way to get it done Blake.  the addiction only get worse have fun.

pseshooter300

Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

JVA54

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

redarrow

sugarray

Congrats to Blake!!!   Sure is great to see young folks getting excited about turkey hunting.

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

bbcustomboxcalls

Congrats to both of you.  I can see by that smile he is hooked for good on turkey hunting!

Bill

VA_Birdhunter

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

chatterbox

WTG Blake and Travis! That is a beautiful bird for sure, and it read like a great hunt for sure!
Outstanding! :icon_thumright:

Rio Fan