turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Coppper vs Lead!

Started by Frankinthelaurels, March 18, 2012, 05:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankinthelaurels

I've used the Federal 2 oz. #5 copper for as long as I can remember and I've been very successful using them. I picked up the same shell at a gun shoppe closing but they were lead instead of copper, $5 a box for the 10 pack. While patterning yesterday they shot extremely well out of my WW1300 NWTF with a Hastings .655 choke at 30 yards. The shell seemed to kick like a mule and I thought it was worse than the copper, could have been my imagination I guess. Question I have is on actual gobblers does the lead penetrate as well as copper ?? Both are the same 2 oz. #5's... They both shot through many layers of cardboard stuff inside the box the target was attached too.. copper vs. lead ?? WHICH penetrates best...just never shot the lead version at actual turkey.

Punisher

I am not for sure what shells you were actually shooting but I would guess the "copper" shells you are talking about were actually copper plated and the "lead" shells were non plated shot.  As for which one has worst recoil. BOTH!!:TooFunny:

timberjack86

Shoot a phone book. That will give you an idea as to which penetrates best.

R AJ

Copper coated lead pellets do not flatten as easily as chilled lead so they do penetrate better than plain lead as a flattened surface has more resistance.

Federal had a hot shell but they were pretty good loads. It would be interesting to see if the lead shells have any buffer in them . The premium loads do have buffer in them. When they first came out the federal shells leaked buffer so badly that each week I would strip my 870 wing master 30"
full choke and clean all of the white snow out of the magazine and chamber area. Shot soon began to rattle inside the shells.

HuntSource

Yeah, the Remington Hevi-Shot loads were terrible about spewing buffer too. After shooting a couple of boxes of them, I started apply my own seal to eliminate the mess. Ah, the good ol' days. Those original Remington HS loads were all the rage for awhile...

As to the OP's question, yes, copper-plated shot should penetrate a bit better, but it's not gonna turn it into hevi-shot either. I'd prolly run the lead if it's patterning significantly better or the copper-plated if the lead is patterning only marginally better.