OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Contest Pictures

Started by turkeybow, February 23, 2011, 07:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeybow

:hello99: to all the new members.  I'm not as much of a talker as the others but I do read as much as I can  :TooFunny:  After seeing our team continuing to grow I just wanted to make sure we get everyone on the same page.  I know this messed up some teams last year and I don't want it to mess us up this year.  I think there is a thread some where saying all of this but I couldn't find it in the contest threads or in here so I figured I would post it.  :icon_thumright:

We NEED to be sure that we get all of the pictures of the birds we harvest bird that are needed for the contest so it counts.

1) Picture of you and the bird with the date on the picture or a picture with you holding a piece of paper with the date on it.

2) Picture of your bird with all of your info in it on a piece of paper:
Forum Name
Team Name
Date of harvest
Weight
Beard Length
Spur Length (left and right)
Bird Score

3)Picture of the bird on a scale or being weighed as best as you can

4) Picture of the beard being measured showing its length

5) Picture of each spur being measured showing its length

Not saying that anyone will forget but when you fill a tag these are the last thing on your mind.  If we don't get all of the pictures our birds may not count.  I put a note card in my vest and my walled with a list of all of the pictures that are needed to make my birds count in the contest.
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

ElkTurkMan

This is good reminder.  I know first hand what happens when you don't take the right pictures.  I didn't get enough pics of one of my birds last year, and I didn't have  a scale with me, and some other things needed for the pictures.  I was out of state, and didn't bring my scale, as well as other things, and  I couldn't enter it because of that.   My fault and I'll make sure I don't make the same mistake twice.  I will print this out and have it it my glove box along with a scale, marker, paper and anthing else I may need.

mfd1027

These are my pic's of #3 last yr.    Pardon the poor condition of this bird we had us a good battle down in the swamp.  I "won"!

You don't have to include this one:

Without these picture's nothing counts!   It's a PIA to get the rt. documentation so get your "kit" together.  You need a camera, measuring tape (a cloth tape like they use for sewing is best for the spurs) so one of them and a hard tape, a digital scale and a sharpie and some sort of paper to write your "sign" on.   

This is the most important part of the whole contest so start collecting your stuff and figure out how your going to carry it with you whether it's in your truck or on your person.   
Dan

gob09

HOLY COW DAN!! looks like he just came out of the clothes washer LOL

unclerick

Remember when measureing the beard to get a good picture of the FULL length, show the base next to the skin, pluck some feathers if need be.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

mfd1027

Rick's rt. you actually need to show the root of the beard.   They cut me some slack here because we were so far behind it didn't matter.    This is "especially" important on multi-bearded birds.    If you're going to mount your bird and don't want to pluck a few feathers use some tape, clothe's pins or anything to hold the feather's back.   

Wes,  it was a battle royale!!!  He died standing in 2" of water.   Would have made a neat video with him flopping away in the mud!!   He actually looks good in the picture!! lol 
Dan

gob09

Quote from: mfd1027 on February 23, 2011, 08:32:37 PM
Rick's rt. you actually need to show the root of the beard.   They cut me some slack here because we were so far behind it didn't matter.    This is "especially" important on multi-bearded birds.    If you're going to mount your bird and don't want to pluck a few feathers use some tape, clothe's pins or anything to hold the feather's back.   

Wes,  it was a battle royale!!!  He died standing in 2" of water.   Would have made a neat video with him flopping away in the mud!!   He actually looks good in the picture!! lol 
:you_rock: right on

harvester

Do you need to include the team name also?

unclerick

And put our team name on paper as well.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

harvester

Quote from: unclerick on February 23, 2011, 09:02:25 PM
And put our team name on paper as well.

hey turkeybow, would you care to modify this thread so it will be easier to see what we have to have when the time comes.

mfd1027

Yep.  Just like the picture I put up with the writing on it:  team name,  your forum name, these measurements written on the paper,   wt., beard length, r-spur, l-spur and overall score.     Photo's-  scale, beard, r-spur,  l-spur and the paper with all the stuff written on it. 
Dan

mfd1027

It truly is a pain to carry all of this stuff with you but if we're going to do good we have to document stuff.   We learned the hard way last year.   
Dan

harvester

As far as I know I have everything I need. My digital scale showed up about a week ago, so I should be good to go. Just have to kill a good bird now. :fud: :newmascot:

Ricochet

-JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of thunder chickens in the morning...

mfd1027

"Take a picture of the gobbler he on a scale - if you do not take a picture of your gobbler on a scale you will get 14 pounds as a default ...10 pounds if its a jake "

With this rule we had better include a picture of the bird hanging from a scale and then a closeup of the scale to document what the wt. is.   
Dan