turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

winchester hv 3.5 2oz #5

Started by Ocoee Ridge Runner, March 17, 2012, 07:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocoee Ridge Runner

Going to pattern this shell tomorrow, what would be considered a good pattern. Trying to decide whether to stay with hevi13 or switch to lead. IC recommended this shell for my. 675.

Philippe

Well it depends, you wont get hevi-13 performance out of them so if that is what you are expecting stick with hevi-13. What type of gun?

remmy1187

Lots of RECOIL with those shells!  Never shot the 5's but the 6's typically shoot well for lead.

Ocoee Ridge Runner

I have a SX3 the price increase of Hevi13 has really made me think of other options.

Ocoee Ridge Runner

IC said my choke is too open for #6's and I should try the #5's.

Philippe

Quote from: Ocoee Ridge Runner on March 17, 2012, 07:55:40 PM
I have a SX3 the price increase of Hevi13 has really made me think of other options.

If you get the chance give the Winchester XX 3.5 2 1/4oz 6's a whirl.

longspur

I get over 100 with that and a qretty good looking 20" too. Would like to try some 2 1/4oz 5s with that.

Tom Foolery

I agree on the 2.25oz #5's and I would also try the 3.5" HV 2oz #6's.  

My 835 choke is a .678" and it's throwing 140+ with the 6's.

Stoney Creek

Thats one of my favorite shells ever, both in 5 and 6 shot. Almost all of the guns will shoot killing patterns at 40 yards with that choke but pattern and see for sure. Got a 870 sm that does an average of 110 in the 10 inch at 40 with the 5's. It also does a little better with the 6's. The Winchester shells are the go to from where im at, recoil is stiff to say the least but good consistent shells IMHO. I've shot em in 660 thru 710 chokes in different guns. I like em a lot....

trkehunr93

Patterned great outta my 835 using a Star Dot, 20+ hits in the head/neck area at 40 yrds.  It put out a very even pattern.  I'm using them this spring, getting off the Hevi bandwagon.  My gun didn't like the 6's in that shell.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

R AJ

Quote from: Ocoee Ridge Runner on March 17, 2012, 07:22:57 PM
Going to pattern this shell tomorrow, what would be considered a good pattern. Trying to decide whether to stay with hevi13 or switch to lead. IC recommended this shell for my. 675.

A good pattern should have at least 80 pellets in a 10'\" circle , preferably 100 or so with evenly dispersed shot. If this occurs at 40 yards you have a 40 yard
shot capability. If at 20 yards then you have a 20 yard gun. If I can get very suitable numbers with 6s I then try to find out how far #5s will attain this pattern. A number 5 lead pellet is plenty on a turkey head and neck.

bushwhacker

I just shot HV 3.5-2-5 and 3.5-2-6's this morning out of my 870 sm and the 5's put 94 in the 10 at 40 yards out of a jh .665. The 6's weren't even worth counting. I was running short on time so I only shot one shell of each size. This is the first time I have shot it since polishing the barrel last weekend so I might do a little better as the barrel dirtys up a bit. Also had a stiff cross wind of about 15 mph. But overall I am happy with the pattern, very even with a good 20 ring also.

WildTigerTrout

My Benelli SBE really likes the 3.5" HV  2 oz. #6. I use a Kick's GT .655 choke.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

tyelper

ishoot a remington 870 23'' barrel with the venilator tube and i shoot the winchester superx 3'x 17/8x5 and get between 90-105 in a target with 32 in head and neck,,,,,