OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Messed Up! (REDEMPTION!!!) with pictures

Started by davisd9, March 16, 2012, 11:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Well I truly cannot say a bad thing about the ground that dirt road ninja has here in Mississippi.  It is beautiful land and it is covered in birds.  

I arrived Thursday afternoon  and after changing out a caliber on his jeep from where it locked up the brakes we hit the woods.  First spot we set up was by a beautiful pond.  We started do a calling sequence right away and 2 jakes popped out on us in 10 minutes.  They fed by us then we called them back and they stayed around15 minutes of so and then left.

Next we walked around to a food plot and got set up and no more than 5-6 minutes we had two longbeards gobbling over each other.  We worked them into 35 yards but they were in thick stuff and could not get a shot.  I messed up cause I got caught up in all the gobbling and called a lot more than I should have when they were committed.

This morning I went to the same spot as we put them in the tree and bright and early they were hammering on the limb.  They finally flew down gobbled about 10-15 times and shut up cause they got with some hens.  About 1.5 hours later then were fired up again.

They were gobbling, double and triple gobbling.  All of a sudden another bird started gobbling to my left.  They were taking turns hammering back and forth.  Well after about 15 minutes I saw 4 hens walking about 50 yards in front of me.  They about 30 yards behind them a big strutter was coming.  When he got to an opening I cutt at him, trying to make him think the hens came out to the plot.

It worked.  He turned and walked straight to the plot.  Just as he was about to step all the way in it a hen clucked behind him and he spun around to them and dropped out of strutt.  It looked clear and it was a now or never shot at 35-40 yards.  I squeezed off and he jumped straight in air and turned around and when he hit the ground he was running fast!  I walked over there in there was about a 2-2.5 in sapling that my pattern tore to pieces.  I searched all over to make sure I did not hit the bird.  Never found a feather but did find where he must have jumped cause the leaves were moved around.  

I guess in the excitement I just did not see the sapling.  I was aggravated to no end but it happens and I feel very confident that I will have a great chance at putting one down in the morning.

Got to see dirt road ninja kill his bird and had some jakes at 5-7 yards gobbling and strutting.  It was a great day in the good Lord's creation!

Sorry I  did not get one on the board yet, but it is coming!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

trkehunr93

I've done it more times than I would like to admit.  I think those saplings seem to pop up out of nowhere.  Keep at it, I know we will see you in a pic with a big, old longbeard very soon!

Turkeykiller12

Stay after them buddy. I too have killed a small tree or two thats just Hunting though. good luck

JVA54

Stay after them you will get one.

M,Yingling

Stay with them ,,,good luck  :icon_thumright:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

davisd9

Well guys we have another bird on the board.  Killed an awesome 2 year old in the same plot I missed in. Came over 150 yards to the decoys.  Did not gobble other than when we first located him.  Dirt road ninja was right there with me.  We each got to see one another drop a bird.  Will post pictures and story tomorrow when I get home.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

JVA54

Way to go davids9 I had a feeling you would get one today!!

CONGRATS!!!! :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

Turkeykiller12

AWESOME! Hope yall have a safe trip back home! Congrats again on the bird! :you_rock: :z-guntootsmiley: :you_rock:

C J Stahly

Great job Donald!  I was pumped for you guys when you sent the pics to me! 

davisd9

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

JVA54

You guys have us off to a great start, I been looking at the other teams threads and the only ones doing better is Shock, Gobble and Awe they have four birds down.

Bustabeak

Nice bird! I killed a jake in Alabama but I want to hold off and try to put one like yours on our board the week after next! Congrats!

davisd9

Go ahead and put him on the board.  You can upgrade when you kill a bigger one, just put UPGRADE at top of post before posting pictures.  Every bird counts.  Congratulations on the jake!!! Another one bites the dust!

dirt road ninja