turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SBE2 24", IC.665 and Hevi .667 patterns

Started by ghillie, March 15, 2012, 10:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghillie

Well got to the range today.  Temp was 72 with light winds but pretty humid.  Anyway, brand new SBE2 24" barrel. 

1st up was the Hevi 13, 3 1/2 inch, 2 1/2 oz of straight #6 at 40 yards with the Indian Creek .665

next is the  Hevi 13, 3 1/2 inch, 2 1/2 oz of straight #7 with the IC .665 at 40 yards

3rd is the Hevi 13, 3 1/2 inch, 2 1/2 oz of straight #7 with the Hevi Choke at .667 at 40 yards

Kind of a tough choice as to which one to go with.  The Hevi choke is just a little more open but both are pretty even throughout...

GOLD HUNTER

They are 2 1/4 oz loads ........ but looks good !!!  ;)

sugarray

Great looking patterns there.  How big is that circle?

ghillie

Oops....your right...2 1/4 oz.....my bad

ghillie

sugarray

Those look tight to me, what do you think?  What are you looking for?

ghillie

They do seem a little tight.  Don't understand why except that it's a new gun, right out of the box.  Nothing done to the barrel except a quick clean.  I would actually like to open it up a little bit.   What i'm looking for is a nice, even pattern.  And a dead gobbler of course!  Not necessarily at 40...more like 30 and under...at that distance, these will be just to tight.

nyhunter

:icon_thumright: looks good, Wish my SBEII shot that good. If your lookin for a better 35yd and under pattern we need to trade barrels :toothy12:

joker

Looks a little to tight and could be more even. To me it looks like it is over choked, and could use a good polishing or deep clean on the barrel. I haven't however played with the sbeii and the hevi13 7's, many someone who has can comment. That surely is a killing pattern, just won't have much wiggle room. Especially at like 30yds.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

That pattern is NOT blown due to excessive constriction.  That's a gun, choke and load that are working as a fine tuned unit.

Also, you can't polish the chrome lined sbe 2 barrels and polishing is done with intentions to increase numbers; numbers are clearly not a problem in these examples.

Shoot low inside 30....

Those patterns make me want to go buy a Benelli and trade you barrels.

sugarray

OK.

PG, Kick's, are a .670
Carson's is .675

Then think about Sumtoy to get a more open choke.

I agree with the OP, you have a fine tuned rig there.  It is a killer for sure.

drenalinld

Absolutely that is WAY TOO tight. You will miss many birds. Send me that barrel and I will send you one that is much more suitable for hunting!!...lol

I would LOVE to have a hevi-6 pattern like that. Unbelievable. Did you count the hits?

joker

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 16, 2012, 07:58:46 AM
That pattern is NOT blown due to excessive constriction.  That's a gun, choke and load that are working as a fine tuned unit.

Also, you can't polish the chrome lined sbe 2 barrels and polishing is done with intentions to increase numbers; numbers are clearly not a problem in these examples.

Shoot low inside 30....

Those patterns make me want to go buy a Benelli and trade you barrels.

The pattern is not blown, however many times you can go with a different or more open choke and get the same 10" numbers but have a more even pattern.

Also, I did not know you could not polish or clean a crome barrel. But, the custom shotgun gunsmiths don't know that either!

Grunt-N-Gobble

joker..........

Polishing and cleaning are two different things.  You most certianley can and should clean your chrome lined barrel.

Its still going to get dirty from shooting.

MERCing

Wow ! Those are some tight patterns for 40 yds !