turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tagging Birds in Georgia

Started by I-55Bandit, March 15, 2012, 09:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-55Bandit

Headed to Georgia next week. Just printed out my permits online. If I am lucky enough to kill a gobbler is there any process I need to follow after the kill? Here in Missouri we have to tag the bird immediately and call it in on an 800 number. Just wondering  :newmascot:

goblr77

Throw him in the back of your truck and head out. No tagging or phone calls required. :newmascot:

neal

Read the rules and laws take my advice read for yourself and if your confused call their fish and game department. I always print the rules take them with me with contact info for the local warden as well in case of any questions or problems you might have while hunting.

Good luck hunt safe!

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

savduck

Turkey rules in GA are simple on private land, WMAs have specific rules. Some required sign in once a season, and sign out if you kill a bird.

Hunt sun up to sun down...7 days a week.
No tagging, no phone calls.
Any shot size smaller than BBs is allowed, but your gun must be plugged for 3 shot total.
3 gobblers.......how ever they come....in one shot or on three different days....doesnt matter.

Season starts March 24th to May 15th statewide
Georgia Boy

I-55Bandit

Quote from: savduck on March 15, 2012, 11:16:48 AM
Turkey rules in GA are simple on private land, WMAs have specific rules. Some required sign in once a season, and sign out if you kill a bird.

Hunt sun up to sun down...7 days a week.
No tagging, no phone calls.
Any shot size smaller than BBs is allowed, but your gun must be plugged for 3 shot total.
3 gobblers.......how ever they come....in one shot or on three different days....doesnt matter.

Season starts March 24th to May 15th statewide
Yep that's why this MO boy is so pumped. We can kill two birds total, they can't be in the same day and only one can be in the first week, we can hunt until 1 p.m.

Turkey Trot

Savduck's statement of the regs in GA is correct.  It is a very wide open system, and lends itself to mischief.  There is little to stop one from killing as many birds on private land as he wants, or on Forest Service land outside Wildlife Mgt Areas.  Even EMA rules are lighter as the season progresses (no drawings).  About the only ways to get caught is in the game warden has personally checked one with prior kills or someone rats him out.  In light of the number of GW's and budget restraints on fuel allocation, etc., it's not like a GW is going to see a guy with 3 dead birds on private land.

Georgia DNR has a website.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Turkey Trot

I-55 are you the one hunting in Bartow Co.?  Do you know what part of it?  It's a fairly large county.

It's better than it used to be, and some parts are better than others.  Turkeys can get as big in a non-ag county like that as in one with a lot of ag.  A friend killed a 23 pound tom with big spurs off his family property, it matches up with the biggest one killed on my lease in S. GA. 

One can see turkeys there in places they did not exist 20 or even 10 years ago.  My father told me that he had a wild tom in the yard (a farm and a lot of yard) that was coming in to the calling of his domesticated turkeys.  We never had any birds traversing our property (that we knew) until about 3 years ago.  I knew where some were about a mile away for several years, and one group was displaced by some houses. 
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

I-55Bandit

Quote from: Turkey Trot on March 15, 2012, 11:34:02 AM
I-55 are you the one hunting in Bartow Co.?  Do you know what part of it?  It's a fairly large county.

I just know it's near Cartersville. My uncle is not really a turkey hunter but he saw a lot of turkeys and some big gobblers during deer season. I've been through a lot of info on the Georgia site and all they say about turkey is the season dates and that you can kill 3. I guess it's just hard for me to believe since our season is so heavily regulated.

Robert_Lee

Definitely Lax requirements in GA, Kill 3, no tagging, no calls. As stated, can be all in the same day or same shot.

BP1992

Pretty much anything goes here in GA.  The DNR don't care.  Most people just kill as many as they want.  Our game laws are AWFUL!

joshb311

Quote from: Turkey Trot on March 15, 2012, 11:28:38 AM
Savduck's statement of the regs in GA is correct.  It is a very wide open system, and lends itself to mischief.  There is little to stop one from killing as many birds on private land as he wants, or on Forest Service land outside Wildlife Mgt Areas.  Even EMA rules are lighter as the season progresses (no drawings).  About the only ways to get caught is in the game warden has personally checked one with prior kills or someone rats him out.  In light of the number of GW's and budget restraints on fuel allocation, etc., it's not like a GW is going to see a guy with 3 dead birds on private land.

Georgia DNR has a website.

The GW's around here aren't the least bit shy about walking up on private land, I assure you. If people wanna be unethical and poach game illegally, they will do it on public or private land. Ask almost any one of them and they will tell you the same I would imagine. Georgia used to have a tagging system years ago but they found that the numbers of licensed hunters improved greatly when the tagging system was done away with.

savduck

Ive been turkey hunting in GA since 1985. I dont remember a tagging system in my time. Our Game Wardens are good and strict. Maybe the beautiful state still has faith in our people and the honor system.
Georgia Boy

stone road turkey calls

you must have writen permision to hunt on privet property on you when you are hunting. no tags we have never had to tag turkeys, they did away with deer tags about 15 years ago, nobody was turning them in to be counted.
good luck, hope you get a nice bird.
OH, FYI. I shot a timber rattler last week in meriwether county where i hunt, it's a little warmer than it should be here right now
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

joshb311

Quote from: savduck on March 16, 2012, 10:45:30 PM
Ive been turkey hunting in GA since 1985. I dont remember a tagging system in my time. Our Game Wardens are good and strict. Maybe the beautiful state still has faith in our people and the honor system.

I was referring to deer as far as the tagging system. I have spoken to quite a few game wardens and they said the reasoning behind getting rid of it was completely financial. The resources they had to allocate for the tagging system were taking away from their funds available for enforcement and assuring compliance.

I should have made myself a bit clearer in what I was saying.