OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Another video- getting started with mouthcall's

Started by mfd1027, February 23, 2011, 03:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfd1027

This is pretty basic so you guys that already have it down won't get too much from it.   I've had quite a few people asking me to make something up so I shot this a while ago. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7inz8zDR1Bw
Dan

mfd1027

I will probably make up a little more advanced one at a later date.  I just wanted to help people get started.  Who knows, maybe somebody will get some benefit from it.   
Dan

ElkTurkMan

gob09

mfd1027

I'm waitin for Rick to chime in.   Hopefully he will start getting some different sounds out of his calls after watching.   

Rick ,  I was thinking about your situation this afternoon.  The most common cause of having the same sound out of every call is having the call's in upside down.   In other words "tab up".   Make sure you've got the tab down.   You can take a sharpie and mark you call's with a dot on the side that goes down.   
Dan

unclerick

Great video Dan, I can do all that pretty well, as far as getting the high note and going to a low note but it did give me a refresher.

Positive note here: the other day I was makeing some deliveries around Nashville, had to go to Liepers Fork, Tn, and from there to Triune Tn, long drive. Had a call with me and started running it and got to experimenting with were I placed it in my mouth, found that sweet spot, I get a pretty good sound out now and clucking seems to be easier and more authentic. That gobbler yelp though is still pretty hard for me to do.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

mfd1027

Rick- the gobbler yelp is with a special call that I make and you don't have one!!!  :you_rock:   I'm thinking about adding it to my website along with a single reed.   I'm also adding two new call's the "yelpin fool" which I've made for years.  It's a modified batwing cut with two latex reeds on top of a single prophylactic.  It's got an awesome yelp and will be good for assembly, plain and lost yelping,  light cutt'n and flydowns.   The other new one is a cutt'n machine and made for loud aggressive calling with a lot of rasp.   I'm going to call it the "Black Bat".  Hopefully I'll have em on the website by this wk. end with video's of each. 
:z-paddy-smiley113:
Dan

harvester

Quote from: mfd1027 on February 23, 2011, 09:09:17 PM
Rick- the gobbler yelp is with a special call that I make and you don't have one!!!  :you_rock:   I'm thinking about adding it to my website along with a single reed.   I'm also adding two new call's the "yelpin fool" which I've made for years.  It's a modified batwing cut with two latex reeds on top of a single prophylactic.  It's got an awesome yelp and will be good for assembly, plain and lost yelping,  light cutt'n and flydowns.   The other new one is a cutt'n machine and made for loud aggressive calling with a lot of rasp.   I'm going to call it the "Black Bat".  Hopefully I'll have em on the website by this wk. end with video's of each. 
:z-paddy-smiley113:

Keep us informed on when you get them on there. Thanks again for another great video. I would like to hear the "black bat". :icon_thumright:

unclerick

That will be cool Dan, no wonder I can't do a gobbler yelp, now I can quit trying.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus