turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shoot the High-Scorers

Started by GobbleNut, February 23, 2011, 02:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Okay, guys,...looks like we got a killer squad here.  We ought to be able to win this thing!
the main point to remember is that to win, we will probably need at least one multi-bearded bird...and maybe two.  How many of you hunt in places that you have a chance to kill a multiple-bearded gobbler?

....If you do, then try to get'r dun.  We will need those birds!

:
:newmascot:    :newmascot:    :newmascot:   

Jay

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 23, 2011, 02:35:28 PM
Okay, guys,...looks like we got a killer squad here.  We ought to be able to win this thing!
the main point to remember is that to win, we will probably need at least one multi-bearded bird...and maybe two.  How many of you hunt in places that you have a chance to kill a multiple-bearded gobbler?

....If you do, then try to get'r dun.  We will need those birds!

:
:newmascot:    :newmascot:    :newmascot:   
I can't get em to stay long enough to measure beards and check spurs, much less weigh them. They seem to frighten easily, no matter how slow I walk towards em. It much easier for me to do it after I shoot em. :TooFunny:

SC_WILDMAN

Jay,
It's apparent you are a relative newbie to the art of turkey hunting. All really experienced turkey hunters learned long ago the art of Turkey Whispering. We use this to put gobblers in a trance like state so we can take our measurements. Then if they measure up we wake them up and continue to call them up for the shot. I would teach you how to do this, but you are on another team. get with me after the season and i'll try to help you.  ;D

BTW will do no good to ask other hunters if they can turkey whisper... they will deny it. It's kinda like a secret brotherhood, But I can't keep a secret worth a dern.  ;)

Jay

Quote from: SC_WILDMAN on February 23, 2011, 04:28:43 PM
Jay,
It's apparent you are a relative newbie to the art of turkey hunting. All really experienced turkey hunters learned long ago the art of Turkey Whispering. We use this to put gobblers in a trance like state so we can take our measurements. Then if they measure up we wake them up and continue to call them up for the shot. I would teach you how to do this, but you are on another team. get with me after the season and i'll try to help you.  ;D

BTW will do no good to ask other hunters if they can turkey whisper... they will deny it. It's kinda like a secret brotherhood, But I can't keep a secret worth a dern.  ;)
Video please ;D

yella yelper

I shot one at my camp in 2008 that scored 103.8125 with 4 beards. I've seen a triple beard out there also about 9 or 10 yrs ago.  Killed way more 2 year olds though!!

perrysbirds

I had both a double bearded Jake and tom last year on game camera 2 weeks before the season started.
Once I got in there during the season I didnt see either of them.I ended up killing 2 jakes and a lady friend I took in there for a hunt killed a longbeard.
Hopefully they are still around this year.I have never killed a multi-bearded bird but I killed a bearded hen last fall that had a 7 3/4 inch beard.
Good topic people!
If I aint out shooting deer
Im home drinking beer

anthonyjhallen

I am looking at every bird closely but with no avail.  I thinks its going to be a tough year here in MD for me.  Like the Wildman said about the brother hood being tight liped, as soon as I open my mouth the locals hear my accent and turn the other way.  So I am having a hard time getting any good intell.