OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Comments on Some Forums Make me Shake MY HEAD!!!

Started by BrowningGuy88, March 14, 2012, 05:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellwaster

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 14, 2012, 06:39:52 PM
Idiots....

They live among us, folks.

The scary part is they procreate and vote, but not necessarily in that order.

Tom Foolery

Quote from: Five O on March 14, 2012, 07:38:02 PM
Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 14, 2012, 07:23:18 PM
I had a guy tell me that his Remington 870 Super Mag could put "EVERY SINGLE PELLET" from a 3.5" #4 into a paper plate at 52yds.  His choke you ask, well I'll just give you guys the key to the pattern of your dreams...............

You need a Remington Super Mag + 3.5" #4's + a Hastings .640!

You should laid a $100 in front of him a told him you bet it wouldn't put %50 in it.

I tried every way in the world to get him and his buddies to come to my house and shoot his combo on my range @ 40yds.  I offered him gun for gun that mine would out shoot his and he would not take me up on it.  

It also did not matter what brand on 3.5" #4, any and all would be 100% in the plate.

Old Gobbler

The problem being with on line recommendations found anywhere   ----anyone , and  everyone who posts something on a forum has been upgraded to editorial status because It can be witnessed or used to persuade thousands - depending on the traffic of the site

also credible advise can be drowned out by numerous others claiming to say different -

people are talking about long shots with tweaked and souped up equipment , then others  duplicate the same with much lower quality equipment this is the point I have been pointing out for post after post -- BE MINDFUL OF GUESTS - thats why we put the limit on talk to 40 - too much fighting , to controversial , and to damaging to the sport 

this is why long shots are a controversial issue - gobblers get crippled  if people have respect for the animal  people will not promote long shots - actions like this with these results will eventually ruin the sport as we know it

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

mightyjoeyoung

I am a moderator on a few hunting forum sites. You would not believe the stuff the uninformed are willing to put out there, be it from killing geese at 100 yards to turkeys consistantly at 60+.  One of the sites is a dedicated turkey hunting chat forum site and I took a proactive approach in speaking with the other mods and admins regarding the need to discourage posts like noted by the op.  We owe it to the game and the sport in general to be ethically and morally responsible in the shots we take.  My 835 just put up a HUGE hevi #7 pattern at a lazered 40/39. Does that mean I can reliably kill a bird EVERY TIME at 60 yards?!  NO.  If I'm not 100% certain that bird is within my kill zone, he walks...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

tyelper

theres no way a hasting 640 choke will put every pellet in a pie plate with number 4's, 640 is way to tight for number 4's belive me i have tried it,,,,,kicks like its ripping steel out of the barrel,,,,,,

snapper1982

wonder what these guys can get a 10 gauge and a 20 gauge to do.  :TrainWreck1:

Old Gobbler

Again , I am not saying what other people are to do in the woods - I am saying is that the yardage thing ---- can be harmful because it can influence ill informed others to try the same with disastrous results

monkey see......monkey do.....
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Gooserbat

Kinda like my 4 banger Ford Ranger will go 100mph I know because I got a ticket doing it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

chatterbox

For me it's simple.
If he won't come into my comfort zone which is 40 yards and under, he walks. Plain and simple.
I won't compromise on that at all. If I can't call him into 40, I need a better plan to kill him. My preffered range is 30-35 yards.

goblr77

There's a lot of BS on most sites....including this one.

pullit

Quote from: tyelper on March 14, 2012, 09:40:21 PM
theres no way a hasting 640 choke will put every pellet in a pie plate with number 4's, 640 is way to tight for number 4's belive me i have tried it,,,,,kicks like its ripping steel out of the barrel,,,,,,

Did anyone ask how big the plate was.... :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Cutt

Quote from: 2ounce6s on March 15, 2012, 01:12:54 PM

Don't have to look hard to find monkeys.

Good thing they don't have a #4 shot in their blends? The picture would show 95 yards plus for 4's?

strutstopper

Hevi isn't the only company making long shot claims. I saw an ad last night for Hornadys 3 inch 1 5/8 oz lead load, stated it was deadly out to 50 yards.

Grant Flaming

Quote from: strutstopper on March 15, 2012, 01:29:10 PM
Hevi isn't the only company making long shot claims. I saw an ad last night for Hornadys 3 inch 1 5/8 oz lead load, stated it was deadly out to 50 yards.

From what I've heard, those new Hornady loads wouldn't kill a gobbler at 35 yards the majority of the time! haha