OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Win. Ext. Range 3.5 #4s

Started by Punisher, March 13, 2012, 09:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Punisher

Sorry.  That was mcgruff1533 that posted the pic.  I appreciate the help.  I am still trying to figure this pic thing out.  How would you fellows feel about using this combo?  I guess I am still a little "old school" when it comes picking a shot size.  I am 32 but I have been turkey hunting since I was 10 and when I started everyone used the largest shot legal (#4).  Since then I have used all the different types of shot (including Hevi shot) but this Ext. Range #4 shot pattern got me kind of excited and I am thinking about trying it.  Just wanting to get some of you guys opinions.

mightyjoeyoung

That'll kill all week long and twice on Sundays!   :OGturkeyhead:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

yelpy

Looks good to me.. I wouldn't hesitate not one bit to use those 4's.

Gooserbat

:OGturkeyhead:
That's dead Turkeys all day, every day.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

albrubacker

I like 4's also, and now I want to try the XDR Win. Looks Great!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

schuylkillspur

I could never get 4's to do anything but piss-me off.
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

Punisher

Guys, I am having such a hard time believing the results I just had to shoot it again today.  I tried a Trulock non ported .680 and a Kicks .675 but the results were not as good as the Trulock nonported .670.  I got 130/10" with the .670 Trulock. ;D  I am pumped about laying the smackdown on one these smart mouth KY turkeys with these Ext. Range #4s.  They should shoot him up! :TooFunny:

VAarrowslinger

We do not allow long shot patterns on OG!

Punisher

I will try to some time this week.  I have two boxes of the Ext. Range #4s and I have shot shells from both boxes to check the consistency.  Both averaged about the same. :happy0064:  I just hate to shoot up two lots I know will perform.

Philippe

Quote from: VAarrowslinger on March 17, 2012, 08:39:39 PM

Who said anything about long range shots?

chatterbox

That's the nicest #4 40 yard pattern I have ever seen!
That dog will hunt! :icon_thumright:

Punisher

Thanks chatterbox.  I was definitely surprised the first time I shot one of these shells and went to look at my target. :o  The good thing is, I have shot this combo six or seven more times with consistent results.  I haven't polished the bore on my gun either.  Should I try polishing the bore or just clean the gun and put it up until April?

chatterbox

Quote from: Punisher on March 18, 2012, 06:23:16 AM
Thanks chatterbox.  I was definitely surprised the first time I shot one of these shells and went to look at my target. :o  The good thing is, I have shot this combo six or seven more times with consistent results.  I haven't polished the bore on my gun either.  Should I try polishing the bore or just clean the gun and put it up until April?
I would just do a deep clean on the barrel that Clark Bush describes at his web site www.allaboutshooting.com. When you get on the site, just find the link to "deep cleaning a shotgun barrel." I think you will be pleased with your results. That's the technique I use, and it really helps.
Best of luck with your setup this spring! :icon_thumright:

bird

Quote from: Philippe on March 17, 2012, 11:04:06 PM
Quote from: VAarrowslinger on March 17, 2012, 08:39:39 PM

Who said anything about long range shots?

Vaarrowslinger asked for a long shot pattern and I replaced his words with the no long shot statement.

coyotetrpr

I thought that the blue letters were odd, but it makes sense now.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.