turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Win. Ext. Range 3.5 #4s

Started by Punisher, March 13, 2012, 09:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Punisher

Hello fellows.  First post on here.  I have been using this site for a long time to help me decide on choke and shell combos.  I have a question to ask.  The other day I got out my SX2 and did a little playing around.  I usually shoot a Jellyhead with Mag Blends but I had a Trulock .670 laying around and some 3.5 Win. Ext. Range #4s and thought I would see how they performed.  The first shot I had 132 in the 10" circle at a taped 40 yards.  I was pretty amazed so I shot it twice more.  Both times I ended up with numbers in the 130s.  The temperature that day was in the 40s with a slight wind.  Are these good numbers with this shell?  Thank you, and I am glad to now be a part of the Old Gobbler community.

Philippe

That is really good for 4's, i'd like to see some pictures of those patterns.

Gobble!

With #4s thats pretty stinking good. Hevi #4s are bit of over kill on turkeys but that will definitely do the job.

Punisher

If I can get my wife to show me how to post a pic I will post a pic of one of the patterns that I saved.  I plan on shooting it again sometime this week or next week with the warmer temps.  Curious on how it will perform.

joker

Those are fantastic numbers in the 10 for 4' s. With those numbers your 20 may be thin though.

mcgruff1533

If you're putting 130 pellets of #4 Win HD shot in a 10" circle at 40 yards, you're certainly doing something right!     It might not be a "numbers" pattern, but those #4 pellets will hit hard, and there's more than enough of them to fill out the circle nicely.

I'd like to see a photo of that pattern if you get a chance.   

bird

Trulock makes a pretty darn good choke and George Trulock is one heck of a nice guy too.  I used one for years with my old turkey gun.

bird

goblr77

I never even approached those numbers with XR 2 oz 5's out of my Xtrema and Trulock .668 or .673. Hevi 6's shot great though.

Punisher

Thanks for the welcome. ;D  I will try to post a pic in the next day or two.  I have never posted a pic on a forum before so I will have to get some help.   I don't want you guys to think I am just yanking your chains.  The pattern I am going to try to post has 132 hits wrote on it but I recounted twice and got 134.  I counted the ones cutting the line but there were only a couple of them.

mcgruff1533

email the photo to me and I'll post it for you.

BTW, I don't think you're jerking our chains.    I really want to see the pattern with those big #4 pellets.

My email is champion221elite@yahoo.com

mcgruff1533

mightyjoeyoung

That will definetely work.  It looks like you might be a tad over choked though with the couple small holes in the pattern but other than that I'd say thatt'll kill.  It might even out a lot if you went a touch more open on the E.D..  Those $'s pack some serios wallup so as long as you've got the numbers and the pattern is even there isn't a turkey on the planet that should survive. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Reloader

That is pretty salty for sure.  Those babies are way over kill, but definitely should give any tom a big surprise.  Your close range patterns will be pretty tight, so keep that in mind.

trkehunr93

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on March 15, 2012, 08:41:16 AM
Here's the pattern photo...

:welcomeOG:

Looks good to me!  That is a great pattern with 4's.  Contrary to what some may say, I do not think any load is "overkill" on a turkey.  Hunt with what performs best for you!

Punisher

Thanks trkehunr93 for posting the pic for me.  I actually shot another Ext. Range yesterday but I had no way to measure it so I took 40 LONG steps to take care of any fudge factor and still got 113 in the 10 if I remember correctly.  I was going to shoot the Mag Blends but now I am thinking about giving these a whirl to just see what kind of devastation they can cause. ;D