turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HS Jake Decoy

Started by BigHooks, March 12, 2012, 10:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNhunterKMC

These are very similar to the DSD and are obviously modeled after them. Both the hen and jake are quite a bit smaller and have quite a few differences in the moldings. 

gob09

Quote from: busta biggun on March 13, 2012, 11:15:47 PM
I think the decoy looks pretty good. My problem is it seems like they basically stole the body shape of the hen and the jake straight from Dave Smith Decoys. I think the paint looks way better on the DSD's but this is very close, but that is due to all the work that Dave Smith did. The posture of these decoys is important in bringing the turkeys in, particularly on the jake. But it seems to me that HS Strut just copied the DSD instead of building their own. It must be legal, but I feel it seems unethical. I feel that DSD deserves the business due to their innovative design. Just my .02.
imitation is a form of flattery

you did good on the decoy he looks just fine.  did you get the hen also ? i ended up with the sneaky pete which is a lot like the woody except it is a soft rubber type material. i thought it would be easier to carry in the woods other than that i cant see any difference in them
good luck with ole woody

Shotgun Dave

I think it looks great Big Hooks . Think you made a wise choice with your Decoy . It's not a DSD so what . I think DSD is an imitation of what Our Lord made for us . HS just copied the same mold that  DSD did . I thought all decoys were imitations !!! God made The Wild Turkey not any man or company . They all stole God's mold and yes it is perfectly legal . I'm sure it will work great for you . Have a Blessed season !!!   Just my $1.00s worth 
All things work together for good !!!

busta biggun

Hey Dave, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you don't need to give personal digs against me. I don't appreciate it. Saying just my .02 worth is a common saying. For you to mock me by saying your opinion is $1 worth seems childish to me. If you like the HS Strut decoy, and you don't have any problem that they stole the exact design from DSD, then by all means, enjoy it. He was asking for opinions and I give him mine.

vaturkey

Quote from: busta biggun on March 15, 2012, 09:12:36 PM
Hey Dave, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you don't need to give personal digs against me. I don't appreciate it. Saying just my .02 worth is a common saying. For you to mock me by saying your opinion is $1 worth seems childish to me. If you like the HS Strut decoy, and you don't have any problem that they stole the exact design from DSD, then by all means, enjoy it. He was asking for opinions and I give him mine.

Well said BUSTA !    :TrainWreck1:
Vaturkey

Shotgun Dave

All things work together for good !!!

busta biggun

You stating your opinion doesn't bother me at all. That is your right. You getting childish and mocking me because you disagree is unacceptable and flat out rude! Additionally it is in violation of the code of conduct of this site. I would encourage you to change your attitude and treat other members here with respect in the future.

vaturkey

Quote from: BigHooks on March 12, 2012, 10:57:28 PM
OK guy's I know it's not a DSD an alot of you don't even use decoys what do you all think I beleave it will work. And it also looks pretty good. What do you think..

Bighooks

For the money that's a great lookin decoy !  Good luck ! 

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

gob09

i dont mean to but in on anyones thread but what about the beard my sneaky pete has a smaller one than the woody reckon a man could put a real jake beard on the deke and make it just a little more realistic
again i think they look great

Gamblinman

I bought the Carrylite this year to test out a semi-strut. I really like one of its features. I can stick my foam hen decoys and all the stakes inside the belly.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

vaturkey

Quote from: gob09 on March 16, 2012, 07:21:04 AM
i dont mean to but in on anyones thread but what about the beard my sneaky pete has a smaller one than the woody reckon a man could put a real jake beard on the deke and make it just a little more realistic
again i think they look great

I think if a gobbler gets close enough to see the beard on your decoy then you should be slinging lead ! JMO   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Shotgun Dave on March 15, 2012, 09:00:49 PM
I think it looks great Big Hooks . Think you made a wise choice with your Decoy . It's not a DSD so what . I think DSD is an imitation of what Our Lord made for us . HS just copied the same mold that  DSD did . I thought all decoys were imitations !!! God made The Wild Turkey not any man or company . They all stole God's mold and yes it is perfectly legal . I'm sure it will work great for you . Have a Blessed season !!!   Just my $1.00s worth 

I don't think Dave Smith intended for anyone to eat his decoys, but I think that God would be fine with it if you eat His creation. 

Dave Smith obviously has incredible talents at sculpting 3 dimensional reproductions.  I have a hard time understanding your bringing God into an argument that is more an issue of supporting an American craftsman as opposed to underpaid chinese knock-off artists.  That comes across as though you are using God like a bully would use a stick to make your point.  Please don't cheapen God and His creation that way.

As there are no naturally occurring wild turkeys in China, I suspect that the HS decoy was likely more of a copy of a copy rather than a copy of an original.  I also think that was the point being made in the comment that you responded to.

Each person has a right to choose the item that fits their need and their budget.  I don't think anyone has an issue with that.  There are some American made products that I would like to have but can't afford to buy... I would if I could, I assure you.  I also recognize as a custom callmaker that birds have been called in with calls purchased at less than what my calls sell for.  I don't lose sleep over that, but would be glad to sell a person a hand-made call as an alternative to one made by CNC or poured from a melted solution.

I know bb personally and have had the privelege of hunting with him.  I can confidently say that his post was not an effort to attack the original poster, but an effort to share observations and experience... something that some of us here do appreciate.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!