turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Glare on FFII

Started by VPHC, March 12, 2012, 05:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VPHC

Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to eliminate the glare off of my glass.  I have heard of people cutting a piece of see through camo mask and rubberbanding around the call.  I am just looking for a more permanant option.  Thanks

Reloader

Why are you worried about it?

I've had a bunch of turkeys come right by me while having one of my FF sighted rigs pointed in their direction and none seemed to mind.  Had one hen get about 10' from me a couple years back, she looked me and my gun over really well, but moved on and lured her boyfriend right on in.

About the only way I can think of to reduce glare would be to have some sort of sun shade that extended fwd from the glass as to not interfere with the light sensor.

BurrisOptics

VPHC, have you had some issues with glare or are you trying to prevent an issue from coming up?  We had someone else mention that they thought the lens from their FastFire spooked a bird last year.  That's the only other time I've heard of that. 

mightyjoeyoung

I have had mine on my SBE II for 3 years and had turkeys within feet of me and never once had the sight glass glare spook a bird.  It's tiny and also convex which should disperse light in all directions fairly evenly so unless conditions were absolutely perfect, I can't see it happening very easilly.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

VPHC

I am just concerned.. I have noticed it a few times when dove hunting with a buddy who has one.  I like  to prevent a problem before it becomes one.  Than.ks for the help

BurrisOptics

Ok good to know.  In that case I would suggest giving it a shot as it is.  Like I said it really has not been an issue except for one person that I know of and it's hard to say why that bird spooked. 

Gobblers_nightmare

Sure happened to me last year:

Quote from: Gobblers_nightmare on March 16, 2014, 01:15:17 AM
I put a new Fastfire 3 w/speedbead on my rig last year, and did take a bird using it.  That was after I had spooked a bird at about 45 yards.  He looked right at me and scooted, and I knew darn well my camo and setup was good, and I didn't so much as blink.  It got me wondering, so at quitting time I unloaded the gun, laid it across a couple of branches pointing to where the bird had been.  The gun was not pointing toward the sun.  I went out there and understood why the bird spooked.  Even with the "sunshade" on, it looked like one giant golden eye staring out of the brush.  I remedied the situation, somewhat, by gluing a square of mesh camo to the inside of the sunshade in front of the objective.  Anybody else had this problem?  Anybody have a better solution?
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!

CrustyRusty

I'd be more concerned why your buddies gun was pointed your way that you were able to see it.  :fud:

Quote from: VPHC on March 14, 2012, 09:29:01 PM
I am just concerned.. I have noticed it a few times when dove hunting with a buddy who has one.  I like  to prevent a problem before it becomes one.  Than.ks for the help

Skeeterbait

Do y'all realize your posting on a thread from two years ago?

chatterbox

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 21, 2014, 08:57:18 PM
Do y'all realize your posting on a thread from two years ago?
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

CrustyRusty

RemingtonRules

So you are saying since this has not come up in two years it is probably not an issue?  This site makes me laugh sometimes.

d.winsor

I had an aimpoint and it spooked a bird in the same manner.  I made a cap that I could raise with my thumb when I was ready to shoot.  It crapped out and I just bought a FF3.  When I got it on my gun, I turned the FF3 on and got in front of it to see if it had a glare.  At the right angle I could see the red dot but not the glare.  I think I will check it again when I get it back from burris.  Had some problems with it.

turkey_slayer

If a shiny quarter size object spooked birds then turkeys would be spooked all the time from glass/metal scattered thru the woods. Now when that shiny little object moves then............ Blinds are much bigger, set in wide open places for all to see , yet they don't spook birds. Again, they don't move. Then again, could be he just didn't see a hen and got nervous