OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

West Tennessee Public Land

Started by Jbird22, March 11, 2012, 10:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

Looking for some general info (Terrain type, amount of hunting pressure, general # of birds you hear on a given morning, etc...) on Natchez Trace State Park/Forest in west TN. Not at all looking for spots just wanting to know what the hunting is like and if it's worth a 7 hr drive from south MS to come hunt. I'm just looking to get away from the same old scenery for a few days in April and have never hunted in TN before (have vacationed in Sevierville a few times and love the scenery). If you'd rather PM me I totally understand. I'd also be willing to share any info about public land in MS with you guys as well. Thanks!

hwy419

Making a very similar trip to Lower Alabama this year. Just need a change of scenery, and some easier terrain.

chrmayo

I live fairly close to it but never hunted it. Have been told there are lots of birds but hard to kill. I think it is draw only for hunting.
-MAYO-

TennLongspur

I have never hunted there, but have heard there are lots of birds. Not really familiar, but west tennessee is a lot flatter that East and middle Tennessee. I can't really help you much beyond that. Good luck!
"The wild turkey possesses the remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

Jbird22

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. Keep it coming!

SKFOOTER

Quote from: chrmayo on March 11, 2012, 11:47:58 PM
I live fairly close to it but never hunted it. Have been told there are lots of birds but hard to kill. I think it is draw only for hunting.
It is no longer a draw hunt WMA.  It is open with the statewide season now. :OGturkeyhead:  I would suggest concentraiting on the southern portion south of Interstate 40 around Scarce Creek.  Just be aware that ATV's are legal there, so I would get back off of the trails.

Jbird22

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 12, 2012, 05:22:14 PM
Quote from: chrmayo on March 11, 2012, 11:47:58 PM
It is no longer a draw hunt WMA.  It is open with the statewide season now. :OGturkeyhead:  I would suggest concentraiting on the southern portion south of Interstate 40 around Scarce Creek.  Just be aware that ATV's are legal there, so I would get back off of the trails.

Appreciate it!

935deadbird

It's turkey infested. Worth a 7 hr drive now thats a big maybe, it depends on how many back to back days I was gonna hunt. And yes it is no longer a draw hunt location. The birds are tough there so be prepared, but we all love a challenge!
"Another One Bites The Dust"

Jbird22

Thanks for the links. I found the bottom two but hadn't seen that top one yet. Appreciate it!

Jbird22

Up top in case someone else has something to add. Thanks guys!