turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Star Dot vs. Colonial Arms

Started by goblr77, March 11, 2012, 09:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goblr77

These two patterns were shot with Hevi 2.25 oz #7's lot #300324 through an 835 with a polished 24" barrel. I shot two of the Hevis through the Star Dot and only one through the Colonial Arms. This stuff is too good to waste. The Star Dot pattern was the best I've ever shot with that choke. It usually runs in the 320's with that lot. The point of impact is a little off on the 341. I was sighting in a new scope and shot that pattern before it was dialed in. I was getting it close with lead. The last pattern I shot, which is not shown, was 280 with a predrawn 10" circle. Slightly moving the center it was in the 320's as usual for this gun and choke. Being I only fired one shell through the Colonial Arms I may not be giving it the benefit of the doubt but I've never had a round from that lot shoot under 300 with the Star Dot. I was expecting something a lot closer out of that choke.

ILIKEHEVI-13

That Star Dot pattern is awesome.  

The Colonial Arms choke surprises me although it still ain't bad at all.  Maybe I can call the owner and tell her to duplicate exactly the old Star Dot dimensions.  Something is off internally or maybe they are using a different steel.  But if the latter is the case, I can't see it effecting the pattern that much vs the original Star Dot.  

hunter-b

woodchip

If I read their chart correctly the Colonial Arms chokes have very open constrictions for their extra full turkey chokes.  So I wouldn't expect them to compare to the Stardot or anything with a tighter constriction.

nflorek

the colonial arms choke i just got is .678 so its just about the same as the star dot

goblr77

Quote from: woodchip on March 13, 2012, 11:42:48 PM
If I read their chart correctly the Colonial Arms chokes have very open constrictions for their extra full turkey chokes.  So I wouldn't expect them to compare to the Stardot or anything with a tighter constriction.

Their chart doesn't apply to turkey chokes. The one for the 835 is supposed to be .680 but runs a little under.

ILIKEHEVI-13

We need Colonial to duplicate the Star Dot choke they made in the early 90's.  I'll try and call her again or maybe email her.  I sort of made her nervous the last time I called.  So I may just email her.