Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi 13 Lot number tests. Old vs New(update with different choke)

Started by Borden811, March 11, 2012, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Petes

I bought two boxes of 3 1/2 magblends yesterday. The lot numbers were the same but i cant remember the last two numbers. (3007??). Im gonna shoot them tomorrow and see how they compare to the older magblends i have.

Borden811

Well guys, I got to shoot today. The result weren't favorable, as far as the "new" hevi loads are concerned.  Here are the numbers at 40 yards from my SHE II and IC .665, with the 3.5 inch loads.

This years shells                           

7's from lot # 300524        185               
6's from lot # 300756        130

2010 shells

7's from lot# 200514         266

Here are the nimbers I shot earlier this week with the JH .660

This years shells

7's from lot # 300524        189
6's from lot # 300756          99

2010 year shells

7's from lot # 300324        304
7's from lot # 200514        258
6's from lot # 300159        233

While the IC did shoot the new 6's and the old 7's a bit better, it shot the new 7's a bit less effectively. The Indian Creek patterns did seem to be more even than the ones from the Jelly Head though. However, in both cases, the shells from this year patterned dramatically worse than the shells from 2010. About 100 pellets less in both cases. Even 50 less would have been bad, but acceptable to me. 100 pellets less is rediculous. I think I'm going to try the Winchester ER and see how it does.

MERCing

Good info. May help explain some of the baffling results some of us have gotten.

It'd be interesting to see one of each (good lot and bad lot) dissected to see if there are any obvious differences.

chatterbox

Those are disturbing results for sure.
What makes it much worse is the increased prices of Hevi-13. I got 190 in a 10" circle out of a 3.5-2.25-6 through my Mossy 835 and a SumToy .675 choke. I didn't look at the lot numbers, but I have multiple lot numbers, so I figure it's a crap shoot.
I will still take 190 in the 10 ring at 40 any day though.

Cutt

Quote from: chatterbox on March 15, 2012, 05:42:54 AM
Those are disturbing results for sure.
What makes it much worse is the increased prices of Hevi-13.

Very true, could it be increased prices, equal increased demand, which equals decreased quality?

If they are selling them just as fast as they can make them, they probably don't see a need or have the time for quality control? Or just flat out do not care, because they are moving? I'd hate to think this ,but there's no other reason? Maybe if demand goes down, they will hear our cry, and quality would then go up?

SKFOOTER

The shells were disected last year and the culprit is a different wad.

FttFttVroom!

This years shells (lot # 300514) gave me 271 with the 7's at 40 yds.

I did however notice a drop off with the current production of 6's.  Only got 163 and
I can do 179 with Winchester XRHD

mnhunter2

If its just a bad wad can't we just pull them and replace them with a wad that works

platinumwindow99

My Lot# for #7 is 300325  and Lot# for #6 is 300186 , I shoot IC .665,  what do you think  they OK

FttFttVroom!

Yes, those should do fine......but pattern them anyhow to be sure yourself :fud:

BigHooks

The lot #s I got this year were 380754 an 390755 has anyone patterned them this year..Thanks...

Tom Foolery

Borden811

what does that setup shoot with the old shells  I.e. 300325?

Tom Foolery

BrownTrout

Borden,

I'll help you and buy the new 7's off of you if you don't want them.  They work pretty good in the 535.  The patterns I posted here were from the new lot numbers.
Who is John Galt?

One of the most ridiculous defenses of foreign aid is that it is a very small part of our national income. If the average American set fire to a five-dollar bill, it would be an even smaller percentage of his annual income. But everyone would consider him foolish for doing it. -- Thomas Sowell in 'Barbarians Inside the Gates'