OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Daughter's First Bird!!!

Started by BOFF, March 10, 2012, 11:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

Well youth season was today, and my daughter wanted to go. We headed out early, and were late due to unforeseen circumstances, but made the best of it.

Set up on 3 occasions, and the third one was the ticket of success. I was able to film it, but the software I had crashed for the video editing. So that will come later.

We were tired and were badly caught off guard. I was playing with my daughter's new hearing protectors, and calling, when a flash went running by the blind, 5 yards to the right on a road, headed to the decoys. It was four jakes looking for loving. After I got the hearing protectors on my daughter, pulling her face mask up over her eyes, attempting to readjust the face mask, and finally getting the video camera up and turned on, I missed a lot of video. If it gets put up, you can hear us laughing while the turkeys are doing their thing.

Both Henrietta and Goober, our decoys got bred and molested badly. It was two to one.  :TooFunny:

Faith made an excellent shot, and followed directions to a "T". I believe I lost more control than her, trying to hold the camera with one hand, situate her mask turned blindfold, and keep an eye on the gun barrel to blind relation. I was so focused on Goober getting beat up, I didn't even notice one of the jakes breeding Henrietta.

It was a great time!!!!

Here is a short, unedited clip of the hunt in lower quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHHfWU9_Gco

God Bless,
David B.

This one is for Joe (TRKYHTR). Thanks again!!!

Woodsman4God

Congrats to you and Faith,
How old is your little girl their Dave, and did you have her out hunting anything else before turkey, just curious as my son is approaching old enough to hunt and wondering if I should get a 22 for squirrel hunting first then break him into to gobblers after that.

anthonyjhallen

hookedspur

WOOHOO Faith and Dave  :happy0064: Dave thats one YOU WILL NEVER forget . Cant wait for the video.

Congrats Faith !!! :z-winnersmiley:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

redarrow

That was too cool. Congrats to you both . :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

drenalinld

Great stuff right there!! They were not treating your dekes with any respect. I'm glad she taught one a lesson.......lol

Great shot! She smoked him!

BOFF

Thank you gentlemen!!!

Quote from: Woodsman4God on March 11, 2012, 08:36:34 AM
Congrats to you and Faith,
How old is your little girl their Dave, and did you have her out hunting anything else before turkey, just curious as my son is approaching old enough to hunt and wondering if I should get a 22 for squirrel hunting first then break him into to gobblers after that.

She is 10, and small for her size.

We have been hunting a few times, and she is inconsistent with wanting to go hunting.
This deer season, and squirrel season is the first year my wife felt comfortable in Faith shooting and killing animals. Not a battle worth fighting over in the past. We have done some shooting of targets with a single shot .22 in the past.

She has been with me hunting without me shooting, and with me shooting.

I try to not push her, and just let her tell me what she wants to do. If we go hunting, and she ups and changes her mind, wanting to go home, I may encourage us to stay for 15-30 more minutes, and then leave.

Not sure this is of much help, as we are just starting to hunt together.

God Bless,
David B.

GobbleNut

Great stuff, David!  She made a good shot on that bird!  Great pictures and video.

Woodsman4God

Thank you for your input Dave, this year my boy will turn 8 and he is nuts about hunting, he has shot a single shot 22 also however last year when I took him out turkey hunting I had a hen all upset at me and she was coming closer he lost his nerve and wanted to go, Said he was worried a bear would hear the turkey and sneak up on us. Not sure he is really ready and I want to start him off slow. I was wondering how other parents have handled taking their young children out hunting. So yes any info helps as I want to feed the fire to hunt not smother it

gophert

:wav:

WAY TO GO!!!

I would let mom explain to her what those turkeys were doing to the decoys.   :TooFunny:

Hayudog

Great story.  Made me smile and remember.   Thanks.

briancady

perrysbirds

If I aint out shooting deer
Im home drinking beer