News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rob Roberts...SBEII?

Started by st8tman, March 09, 2012, 03:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

st8tman

Guys,
          I just mailed my SBEII to Rob Roberts/Gobbler Guns today. I "Deep Cleaned" the barrel prior to shipping. I requested the forcing cone be lengthened/polished, the barrel ported and it be patterned for most lethal "Final Strut" choke./Load Combo. Not really concerned with trigger pull or polishing action. Any ideas/thoughts on other work I should have requested?

K9Doc

Maybe an after market Magnum Surecycle.  Made of stainless steel and a better stronger cycle system.  Rob does good work.  I think you will be pleased.
Good choice and good luck.  Keep us posted on how it turns out!
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

CASH

Quote from: Spuriosity on March 09, 2012, 10:15:40 PM
I would save the money you are going to spend to have it ported and buy more shells. Porting, IMO and IME, does nothing but make the gun louder.

:agreed:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

yelpy

Quote from: CASH on March 10, 2012, 04:21:03 AM
Quote from: Spuriosity on March 09, 2012, 10:15:40 PM
I would save the money you are going to spend to have it ported and buy more shells. Porting, IMO and IME, does nothing but make the gun louder.

:agreed:

X's 3

Or put the money towards a Burris SpeedBead. They work very well.

nyhunter

KEEP us posted on how it does when you get it back. I wanna have Rob do the forcing cone and polish the barrel in my SBEII because it has never really patterned that good. Did you pattern it before you sent it out so you have a comparison to know how much it improved?

turkeytromp

I sent my new SBEII to Rob last year and had the forcing cone lengthened and barrel polished including the action+trigger job 1lb. A heavier inertia spring installed for less recoil shooting the 3-1/2" hevi 7's and a custom Indian creek black diamond strike choke miked at .667  along with 8oz of weight added to inside forarm to tame muzzle rise topped off with a matching ap Hd truglo halo sight. I've never been happier with the way these mods have really woke this gun up and I now primarly use it only for hunting turkey and coyotes, Consistantly getting 330's in a 10"@ 40yds.
I dropped a double bearded jake last early spring at 47 yards stone cold lifeless! To me the best money I have ever spent. I like robs work! you will be happy ;)

yelpy

Quote from: turkeytromp on March 10, 2012, 09:02:35 AM
I sent my new SBEII to Rob last year and had the forcing cone lengthened and barrel polished including the action+trigger job 1lb. A heavier inertia spring installed for less recoil shooting the 3-1/2" hevi 7's and a custom Indian creek black diamond strike choke miked at .667  along with 8oz of weight added to inside forarm to tame muzzle rise topped off with a matching ap Hd truglo halo sight. I've never been happier with the way these mods have really woke this gun up and I now primarly use it only for hunting turkey and coyotes, Consistantly getting 330's in a 10"@ 40yds.
I dropped a double bearded jake last early spring at 47 yards stone cold lifeless! To me the best money I have ever spent. I like robs work! you will be happy ;)

Man you have done a major overhaul. I may have to give it some thought after the season ends.

I had Rob lengthen the forcing cone on mine and it definatly made a difference. I am awaiting a choke now.

st8tman

The work I am getting done is a belated Christmas gift from my better half, as Santa just wasn't carrying anything in his bag that went BOOM! Nonetheless, I have put away some coins for a FFIII, and shells.
When I spoke to Rob, I explained the terrain I hunt, as well as shot distance expectations. I was quick to point out I HAVE NO ALLEGIENCE to any of the shell manufacturers, but simply sought the most lethal load for my gun. I did advise him I intended to shoot 3 1/2" shells, which he agreed in the right format would generally provide optimal performance. He spoke to me as if we had known each other for years, and was quite the gentleman in all respects!

K9Doc

Quote from: st8tman on March 10, 2012, 10:00:19 AM
The work I am getting done is a belated Christmas gift from my better half, as Santa just wasn't carrying anything in his bag that went BOOM! Nonetheless, I have put away some coins for a FFIII, and shells.
When I spoke to Rob, I explained the terrain I hunt, as well as shot distance expectations. I was quick to point out I HAVE NO ALLEGIENCE to any of the shell manufacturers, but simply sought the most lethal load for my gun. I did advise him I intended to shoot 3 1/2" shells, which he agreed in the right format would generally provide optimal performance. He spoke to me as if we had known each other for years, and was quite the gentleman in all respects!
You are dead on with his customer service.  He is an Arkansas boy thru and thru(Like Me!).  The porting does make it louder, but also tames the recoil and muzzle jump a tad.  Them Benelli's Kick!  I think i would ask him about any such recoil reductions possible.  That's my next step.
Good Luck.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

nyhunter

I sent my new SBEII to Rob last year and had the forcing cone lengthened and barrel polished including the action+trigger job 1lb. A heavier inertia spring installed for less recoil shooting the 3-1/2" hevi 7's and a custom Indian creek black diamond strike choke miked at .667  along with 8oz of weight added to inside forarm to tame muzzle rise topped off with a matching ap Hd truglo halo sight. I've never been happier with the way these mods have really woke this gun up and I now primarly use it only for hunting turkey and coyotes, Consistantly getting 330's in a 10"@ 40yds.
330!!! thats it I'm having mine done, ohhhh the money I could have saved if I had only done this first.

Javi

Good luck. Rob is a good man. Never regret the choke he sold me.

turkeytromp

Here are the numbers using a hevi13 choke from rob that I posted last year just after I got the gun back.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,4831.msg58524.html#msg58524

Turkeyslayer 101

.                 That's awesome upgrade!
Be sharp but don't cut yourself!

hunter-b

WOW ! He sure is making them shoot .