OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 535 w/.670 XX Turkey Choke

Started by BOSS HOGG LOU, March 09, 2012, 02:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOSS HOGG LOU

I picked up a used Mossy 535 combo kit a few months ago and the turkey barrel came with a Mossberg .670 XX Turkey Choke. It's lead only so I'm looking to pattern it with some off the shelf loads. I'm thinking of trying some Federal Flite Control or some Winchester Gray Box shells. But at thi point, I'm asking for some experience from you guys. Thanks in advance.
If Silence Is Golden, Why is Duct Tape Silver?

chatterbox

The Winchester Supreme in #6 should give you decent patterns out of that combo.
If it were me, I would go and try a .660 Jellyhead. My 535 loved the .660 JH.

mcgruff1533

I have a 535 Tactical Turkey with the 20" barrel and mine shipped with the same ported X-Factor .670" Mossberg tube.   I tried multiple loads and all were lacking past 30 yards.

I never tried a Jelly Head, but they are certainly a good place to start for a high quality choke that seems to perform well.     I did settle on a .660" Indian Creek choke after extensive testing.     The IC choke vastly outperformed the .670" X-Factor choke, and significantly outperformed the other chokes in my inventory with nearly every load I tried.

The .670" X-Factor choke was so far behind, I listed it on OG Classifieds and sold it.     If you do end up buying a ported Indian Creek choke, DO NOT fire Federal shells with their Flite Control Wads.    I learned this the hard way and ended up splitting the choke.     Indian Creek took care of me, but suggested I refrain from shooting any FCW regardless of shot type.    They're just too thick, and inflexible to safely use in IC chokes.

BOSS HOGG LOU

:welcomeOG:
Quote from: chatterbox on March 10, 2012, 04:29:55 AM
The Winchester Supreme in #6 should give you decent patterns out of that combo.
If it were me, I would go and try a .660 Jellyhead. My 535 loved the .660 JH.

Now I have a reason to get those shells. I believe those are on the Thermacell offer. I'll be looking online for the Jellyhead. I can't find that choke locally

Trevor2

I had that exact set up. I shot win supreme hv 5s or 6s cant remember which. I killed birds with it. Cant tell you numbers, this was all before I started counting in the 10".
Strutstopper

BOSS HOGG LOU

I am going to get a box of #5 and #6's today. Might pattern them tomorrow.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

trkehunr93

Friend of mine has a 535 with the factory .670, doesn't put up great #'s at 40 at all.  Will kill a turkey but the pattern is to open for me.  He ran Win HV 3.5" 6's thru it.

BOSS HOGG LOU

Quote from: trkehunr93 on March 11, 2012, 10:43:14 PM
Friend of mine has a 535 with the factory .670, doesn't put up great #'s at 40 at all.  Will kill a turkey but the pattern is to open for me.  He ran Win HV 3.5" 6's thru it.

I just picked up some Winchester HV Supreme 3.5in #6's. I might be going to a tighter choke soon. But, I'll pattern this setup this weekend.

BOSS HOGG LOU

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 10, 2012, 08:54:34 PM
good luck
I bet you like the #5's

I still have to get some #5's. Can't find any locally in 3.5in.

BOSS HOGG LOU

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on March 10, 2012, 06:47:16 AM
I have a 535 Tactical Turkey with the 20" barrel and mine shipped with the same ported X-Factor .670" Mossberg tube.   I tried multiple loads and all were lacking past 30 yards.

I never tried a Jelly Head, but they are certainly a good place to start for a high quality choke that seems to perform well.     I did settle on a .660" Indian Creek choke after extensive testing.     The IC choke vastly outperformed the .670" X-Factor choke, and significantly outperformed the other chokes in my inventory with nearly every load I tried.

The .670" X-Factor choke was so far behind, I listed it on OG Classifieds and sold it.     If you do end up buying a ported Indian Creek choke, DO NOT fire Federal shells with their Flite Control Wads.    I learned this the hard way and ended up splitting the choke.     Indian Creek took care of me, but suggested I refrain from shooting any FCW regardless of shot type.    They're just too thick, and inflexible to safely use in IC chokes.

I guess mine came with the older choke as my .670 isn't ported. That is why I considered Federal Flite Control shells. But I plan on shooting lead due to ease of purchasing. So a new choke is in the future.