turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What should I do to fix my 1300?

Started by joffutt1, March 07, 2012, 07:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joffutt1

My dad got it for me a while back and I'll probably never sell it because of that but mine has has multiple jams and even a hang fire.

Once when I was hunting I had a shell misfire and so I went to cycle out one shell and it went off halfway through the cycle blowing the fumes back in my face.

I tried one last time last year to use it and cannot get the gun to pattern out  to 40 at all so I'm buying a new gun this year.

I still would like to fix the gun somehow. It's the turkey edition but has always gave me fits. Is it something I'm doing wrong?

allaboutshooting

I have a few suggestions. The first would be to totally disassemble your gun and clean everything. Just a little "gunk" here and there can cause problems.

Those guns are also very close to being a self-loader. The moment the shot is fired, the slide releases and the fore arm wants to begin a rearward movement to allow you to chamber a new round. A little forward pressure on the fore arm can keep that from happening.

I'd also deep clean the bore and install a good extended turkey choke. There are a couple that I could recommend.

If a good cleaning and forward pressure on the fore arm do not help, I'd seek the advice of a qualified gunsmith.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

GOLD HUNTER

id put it up and get a new shot gun.......  :icon_thumright:

joffutt1

That's another thing I forgot to mention was that the forearm wants to come back as soon as you shoot it halfway discharging the shell before you are ready. Kinda scary really.

Philippe

Sounds like i'd make it a wall hanger and be shopping for a new turkey gun!

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: joffutt1 on March 07, 2012, 08:27:11 PM
That's another thing I forgot to mention was that the forearm wants to come back as soon as you shoot it halfway discharging the shell before you are ready. Kinda scary really.

That is completly NORMAL with the 1300.  The bolt disengages, and as such, the force of the round going off in the chamber helps to force the bolt and pump handle rearward.  It's where the term "speed pump" came from and it won't hurt a thing.  Like Clark said, it most likely just needs a good, thorough cleaning, all the way down to it's most basic components and then reassembled using a MINIMUM of good lubricant (not WD-40 or Remoil) as they tend to gunk up and varnish with friction and age.  The whole going off while you were pumping the gun thing could very well be due to a very gunked up firing pin or...you just never got familiar with the speed pump design and it was functioning the way is should and caught you off gaurd...either way, clean it and/or get it looked at but it sounds to me like she was functioning just fine.  I have sold a few hundred of them and have owned three so I know what I'm talking about here and agree with Clark 100%.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: joffutt1 on March 07, 2012, 08:27:11 PM
The 1300 Turkey gun is one of the Best Turkey guns ever,Ask my old man,Hes killed over 25 toms with his and i have killed 3 Good Bucks with my All black Winchester 1300.I would take it apart and give it a Good cleaning then put it back together and go Slay a Gobbler with it.Good luck with it,Mine will never go anywhere,But my old man is Waitin for a New Winchester Shotgun because it shoots 3.5"