turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old white Hevi?

Started by spurcollector, March 07, 2012, 04:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spurcollector

I bought 4 boxes today of what I think is the old white Hevi Shot. I am not familiar with the old white Hevi so could someone tell me if I have found the good stuff. They are 3", 1 3/4oz, #6. They are white with a crimp rolled in around the top, on top of a single plastic piece. I will try to post a picture. Thanks

spurcollector

TNBIRD

Yep that is them!!  :drool:   PM sent...

joey46

Agree that is them.  Probably from 2007.  Stored properly they should shoot great.  They like a very tight choke.  I use a .650 Indian Creek in my 870.

spurcollector

I went into a local gun shop today that I never go in. I went in looking for something such as this. I came home with 4 boxes and told my wife I hit the mother lode. She wasn't nearly as excited as I was.

spurcollector

I would appreciate any info I can get on these shells. I have a Mossberg 500. I have a Stardot .668, a TG SSX .643 and I think a .665 Hastings. Is 1 3/4oz the only payload in these shells?

Spring Creek Calls

I shoot these loads also. I would start with the tightest choke and go up. My guess would be the .643 will be the ticket. I shoot them thru a GT .655.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Quax

My gun with same choke system did well with star dot and old white 6; put up a very well dispersed 175 in the 10 at 40.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: spurcollector on March 07, 2012, 04:22:25 PM
I bought 4 boxes today of what I think is the old white Hevi Shot. I am not familiar with the old white Hevi so could someone tell me if I have found the good stuff. They are 3", 1 3/4oz, #6. They are white with a crimp rolled in around the top, on top of a single plastic piece. I will try to post a picture. Thanks

Congratulations! You have the OW shells. All of those were loaded by Polywad in late 2004 and very early 2005.

We shot them in still target shoots in 2005 and 2006. I still have a case or so of them. They are excellent shells and do best in the SSX, as you stated, with an e.d. of .643.

They do best in clean guns and and at temps above 40 or so.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gobble!

Here's some info.....buy all those shells you can. I have not been fortunate enough to shoot them but many say they are the best shells h13 ever made.

spurcollector

Quote from: Gobble! on March 07, 2012, 08:10:04 PM
Here's some info.....buy all those shells you can. I have not been fortunate enough to shoot them but many say they are the best shells h13 ever made.

They had 4 boxes, I bought all 4. The had some 3 1/2 that were green. I dont know anything about these as I don't shoot 3 1/2.

chipper

IMO you bought the best turkey load ever made!!! I,ve still got 3 boxes of them and they will not be shot at anything but turkeys, my 870 loves them, My SX3 and IC.665 averages 175 to 200 in the 10" at 40 every time.

strutstopper

What is all the hype for with these shells? 175-200 is not very good for a shell that has been called the best turkey load ever. I have heard this for years and have always wondered

Reloader

Quote from: strutstopper on March 08, 2012, 08:27:40 AM
What is all the hype for with these shells? 175-200 is not very good for a shell that has been called the best turkey load ever. I have heard this for years and have always wondered

It depends on the gun and choke like any other shell, but those shells are the most efficient I've ever tested.  I have some rigs even with short 23" bbls that get 210-220 with them.  My best ever at 40 has been 242 with some in the 230s and many in the 220s as well.  Some of my other guns will only do about 180-190 with them, but that is still very efficient for a mere 1-3/4oz of H13 6s.  Shortly after they went away, the next best thing was the 3-2-6 loads, but the best I've been able to do with them was a touch over 200.  I've never had good luck with the 3.5-2.25-6, but many others have.  Being that H13s are clearly the highest count factory loads you can buy, the OW was and still is the most efficient factory turkey load ever produced IMO.  Now all the buzz is the 7, but as far as the efficiency is concerned, those OWs still have them beat.  If they used that load with 7s, you'd see some scary numbers.  I happen to know that for a fact :D

Reloader

Quote from: spurcollector on March 07, 2012, 07:36:54 PM
I would appreciate any info I can get on these shells. I have a Mossberg 500. I have a Stardot .668, a TG SSX .643 and I think a .665 Hastings. Is 1 3/4oz the only payload in these shells?

I think you'll like the SD and SSX the best out of those 3.  I have 2 1300 with that same thread pattern.  With the SD .668 I get upper 180s in one and over 200 in the other with the same choke and the OWs.  The better of the two even gave me a 236 with the SD and OW on one range session.

Good Luck