turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hello From WI

Started by Musky Dawg, March 05, 2012, 05:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Musky Dawg

Hello everyone! Just stumbled upon this forum and wow, what a great amount of information here. Almost too much for a newbie like myself. I'm greener than grass in July when it comes to hunting. Wasn't brought up that way and in my mid 30s here my 14 yr old son is what is getting me into this. I went on a mentored turkey hunt last year, and while not seeing or shooting a bird I was hooked with the whole idea of it, and hearing one gobble at daylight. Been stocking up on some calls, decoys, and a blind over the last year and finally plucked down the cash for a firearm of my own this last week.
I hope to someday share a story or two of a successful hunt, and will try and soak up as much info. as possible in the meantime. I'm hoping to get out to a range in the next week or so here to pattern out my gun and get as much confidence as a new shooter can before the season opens here in WI. I picked up a Remington 870 SPS Supermag Turkey shotgun after doing a years worth of research, and handling them in the store. So I think I'm on the right track!
Any advice, or choke/ammo. choices would be appreciated as I've only shot one other shotgun in my life.
Thanks again to all who contribute on this site.... it's a great help and huge wealth of information for all the "lurkers" out there. Good luck in the woods this spring.
Matt

JVA54

WildTigerTrout

:welcomeOG: Jump right in. Don't be afraid to ask questions. ALOT of good info on here for beginners or experienced turkey hunters. Good luck to you this Spring.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Basser69

:welcomeOG:   Advise: don't start.....It gets in the blood  :funnyturkey:

Hognutz

Welcome to the O.G. What part of the state are you from? I am from the south of Waukesha..Enjoy your stay...Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

woodwzrd

Woo Hoo another Wisconsinite. Welcome to OG. I am from up in Dunn County.

eaglea1

Welcome to OG, from Fond du Lac county. I too just picked up a new 870 Supermag last Thurs. after much research. Hoping to use it soon. Good Luck

Lunchbox

Nice to see another Wisconsinite here(Walworth County here). As for chokes, most 870s love Jellyheads(just ordered mine for my 870 express mag). Do a search on the website "870 choke", and you will find a lot of your answers.

cannonball

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

turkey slayer

870supermagnum

:wagon:  from Middleburg, FL  :happy0064:   

I shoot the 870 Super Magnum with a Primos Jelly Head .660 choke tube, Knoxx Camo Spec Ops stock, Browning Holo sight, and Winchester Supreme Elite Extended Range 3.5" #6.  This setup is bad to the bone (turkey bone).

You'll love the 870 Super Magnum, but it does kick with 3.5" shells, that's why I put the Knoxx stock on it. 

There's a lot of guys here that shoot Hevi-13 3.5" #7.

longspur

bornagain64

Welcome. There is a lot of good info and people on here.
Enjoy and check everything out.

John

GeorgeJR

Welcome as well. 

I ended up going with a Jelly Head in a .660 in a 11-87 Super Mag Remington and love it.

Wisconsinite as well.  Live in Appleton area, hunt near Horicon, WI.  Good luck and enjoy or Missouri transplanted turkeys.