Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Rem 870 20ga w/21" barrel thru Rem Super Full choke w/TSS 9's and WM HD 6's

Started by Sand Man, March 04, 2012, 11:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sand Man

Patterned two Remington 20 gauges today with 21" barrels.  I also had an extra 21" barrel I patterned as well.  All 3 barrels were polished similar to the instructions found on this website except I used a polishing flex hone on the rough polish and then used the ScotchBrite and JP bore bright to polish for the final step.  Anyway, all 3 barrels were first patterned with 3" 1 5/8oz TSS #9's at 40 yards.  Here are the patterns:

I missed the pattern board a little to the right on the first pattern, so I felt I didn't get an accurate enough pattern on that barrel.  So, I decide to shoot another TSS reload thru that barrel.  I shot a 3" 1oz TSS #9 and 7/16oz TSS #8 duplex load.  Again, shot at 40 yards.  Here's the pattern:

Next up I have some 2 3/4" Remington Wingmaster HD 1oz #6's I use for duck hunting.  A friend of mine has a young boy he wants to put on his first turkey this year.  I thought these 21" 20 gauge guns with adjustable Knoxx stock would be just the ticket for him.  However, these TSS 3" loads pack too much of a punch for a young kid, so I wanted to see how these 2 3/4" load would work.  I used only one of the 21" barrels, and it was statistically the worst patterning barrels from the 1 5/8oz #9 testing.  I shot at 40, 30, and 20 yards.  Here are the results:

Now the tough decision of which of the two barrels to keep,   :toothy9: off to the gunsmith for drill/tap for rail on the receiver for red dot, and painting before turkey season.  Pretty excited to put these guns to the test.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

bgbuck153

Those are some sicking tight patterns ! Did you try them at 30 and 20 ?

Sand Man

Quote from: bgbuck153 on March 05, 2012, 08:13:49 AM
Those are some sicking tight patterns ! Did you try them at 30 and 20 ?

With TSS, no!  The last two patterns are at 30 and 20 respectively with Remington Wingmaster HD 1oz #6's.

bgbuck153

I think alot of us would love to see your 20 and 30 patterns . Just for sh*t's and giggles !

cannonball

Sand Man

Quote from: bgbuck153 on March 05, 2012, 06:54:23 PM
I think alot of us would love to see your 20 and 30 patterns . Just for sh*t's and giggles !

I have a PayPal account for donations to buy more TSS.   :toothy12:

When I mount the FF II's I'll shot one close in to check my zero for you.

TN-Hunter

WW

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

MERCing

Sand Man

Quote from: MERCing on March 09, 2012, 12:13:10 AM
A 20 ga putting 429 pellets in 10 @ 40...all I can say is WOW !

It had my scratching my head as well since my SBE with 2oz 9's was only doing 360ish.  SOOOOOOOOOOOO.............

I have to admit the error of my ways here.  Figured out why I got such great numbers at 40 yards in the "10".  I used the wrong stencile for my circles.  I was using my pattern for testing duck loads.  So my center circle is 14-15" and not 10".

I haven't went back and recounted to correct my mistake, but I'm believe I'm still north of 300 in the 10" with these barrels.

SORRY for misleading.   :TrainWreck1:   :funnyturkey:

Curtdawg88

Quote from: Sand Man on March 14, 2012, 11:23:29 AM
Quote from: MERCing on March 09, 2012, 12:13:10 AM
A 20 ga putting 429 pellets in 10 @ 40...all I can say is WOW !

It had my scratching my head as well since my SBE with 2oz 9's was only doing 360ish.  SOOOOOOOOOOOO.............

I have to admit the error of my ways here.  Figured out why I got such great numbers at 40 yards in the "10".  I used the wrong stencile for my circles.  I was using my pattern for testing duck loads.  So my center circle is 14-15" and not 10".

I haven't went back and recounted to correct my mistake, but I'm believe I'm still north of 300 in the 10" with these barrels.

SORRY for misleading.   :TrainWreck1:   :funnyturkey:

That's still pretty impressive!!  Who needs a 12ga with those kinds of numbers!
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."